No boot - stuck on non-blinking cursor

What I should do if I have only “_” and its not blinking… no reaction to CTRL+ALT+F4. I just uninstall old kenel and install spare LTS(previous) and got this!

Hi @Slimy,

I suspect you’ll have to re-sync from a chroot environment.

How to chroot

1. Ensure you’ve got a relatively new ISO or at least one with a still supported LTS kernel.

2. Write/copy/dd the ISO to a USB thumb drive.

3. When done, boot with the above mentioned USB thumb drive into the live environment.

4. Once booted, open a terminal and enter the following command to enter the chroot encironment:

manjaro-chroot -a
  1. If you have more than one Linux installation, select the correct one to use from the list provided.

When done, you should now be in the chroot environment.

But, be careful, as you’re now in an actual root environment on your computer, so any changes you make will persist after a restart.

Afterward, please run the following to check the installed Kernels:

mhwd-kernel --listinstalled

If necessary, uninstall all non-supported, EOL kernels with:

mhwd-kernel --remove <kernelVersion>

_Where, you guessed it, _ <kernelVersion> is the version of the kernel you wish to remove. For example linux510, linux515, or similar.

From within the chroot environment, then run the following to re-sync the system:

pamac upgrade && pamac upgrade --aur --devel || echo -e '\033[0;91mThere was an error upgrading the system. AUR packages not upgraded.\e[0m'

This will update your system and ONLY if that was successful update any AUR packages.

a Reminder: While use of the AUR is possible, it’s neither recommended nor supported.

I recommend pamac instead of pacman, especially for newcomers as pamac was developed by Manajaro (developers) for Manjaro and just takes care of more thing than pacman. For example:

Thanks for answer, turn out that I manage to proper boot just use just installed LTS kenel. I belive this is install scripts bug… they messed up with existed kernel(latest) which worked before and I even not touch it. Also I’m surprised that some external USB required for such manipulation. If I have only on PC with broken system its not durable download image and create usb. Why manjaro doesn’t have some ‘rescue’ in boot options on this case, or does it? I believe Ubuntu has something like this but not sure how far it stretch in fixing.

Did you try to press F2 while boot-up ? A menu with possible boot-options should appear (latest if you choose “advanced settings”) in this menu.

But this is grub menu you’re talking about?

I checked fail mode, results are the same. Even worse now. Yesterday was kernel update which seems broke my last working kernel. Right now just black screen and by FAN noise I suppose something is going on but no any reaction for input.

P.S. I’ve manage to boot with snapshot (thanks BTRFS, without it Manjaro will be real pain on ‘main battle’ laptop).
What next If I proceed with snapshot boot? all on top of this will be just ‘dungling’ or how it works? Should I worry about not install the same update which I belive the reason?