New User, my soundcard 18i20 wont play sound

Hi guys.

I’ve recently jumped from Hackintosh to manjaro and virtualization.

I’ve only just installed manjaro, everything seems to be working flawlessly EXCEPT for my scarlett 18i20.

I can select it in my sound settings, it says scarlett 18i20 multichannel, it shows the sound bar moving up and down when something gets played, but theres no sound going into the card.

I am VERY new to manjaro so I don’t really know what I’m doing other than tutorials. anyone had this issue?

Provide basic Information:

In my last Manjaro installation, the default output for sound was set to “Headphones”. Check that it is set to “Internal audio line out”.

Im running Manjaro KDE Plasma.

All ive managed to do from it is install manjaro Plasma, its all running fine, I can select my output as Scarlett 18i20 multichannel , I can see the output volume moving,but theres no sound. it seems to be also set on like 7.1 surround, whilst my setup is 2.0 , but i dont know where to change it (it gives me the option to control 7 speakers).

My setup is i7 8700k, 1tb 860 Evo running manjaro plasma , another 1tb 860evo running windows 10.

Soundcard works great on windows, used to work great on my hackintosh (which has been overwritten with manjaro).

I can’t seem to find that. my output gives me the option of my 18i20 soundcard (what I want) , or my monitor. the monitor works fine,but i want my soundcard to work so i can get sound out of my studio monitors. when I switch to the soundcard, there visualizer shows sound in manjaro,but there is no sound coming out of my soundcard.

ALSA has supported the first generation of Scarlett interfaces for some time, but support for 2nd and 3rd generation devices was only added to kernel recently
(Oct 21: Scarlett 8i6 input not showing in settings)

I suggest using this command to enable the driver for Scarlet 18i20 Gen 2

sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/scarlett.conf <<<'options snd_usb_audio vid=0x1235 pid=0x8201 device_setup=1'

Or this for Scarlet 18i20 3rd Gen

sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/scarlett.conf <<<'options snd_usb_audio vid=0x1235 pid=0x8215 device_setup=1'

Release Scarlett Gen 2 & 3 · geoffreybennett/scarlett-gen2 · GitHub

sound/usb/mixer_scarlett_gen2.c - Linux source code (v5.15.12) - Bootlin

EDIT: removed typo in 1st command (spurious backtick)

thanks for the reply. when I copy the top one (mine is a 2nd gen) , all I get is

  ~  sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/scarlett.conf` <<<‘options snd_usb_audio vid=0x1235 pid=0x8201 device_setup=1’  :heavy_check_mark:
bquote>

I don’t really know what I’m doing here,just trying to get mac on linux for my music, sorry if its annoying that I dont know what to do. am I supposed to write something in bquote?

apologies - command had a typo

If the command works, terminal response should just report the text that has been written to file /etc/modprobe.d/scarlett.conf

if system is rebooted to load the new configuration the device should be able to load the correct driver