New to manjaro, my terminal doesn't recognize the dollar sign? + crash issues

Made a change from Windows to Manjaro KDE recently, and while the boost in speed on my low-end hardware is very much appreciated, I’ve met with some frustrating situations that I couldn’t find help on.

Firstly, as the title suggests, the terminal isn’t recognizing the dollar sign when I try to download certain apps. I tried downloading steam using the command “$ sudo pacman -S steam”, as a guide I found advised me to, but it returned “zsh: command not found: $”.

I’m relatively new to this kind of thing so I’m not sure if I’m doing something wrong here. Any help would be appreciated! I want to learn this so my computer can run more smoothly, so if anyone could also point me to some better resources for learning Linux, I’d be very grateful!

And the second topic I mentioned on the title, crash issues. I tested out minecraft to see how smoothly it’d run, and I even managed to open the game, but it started lagging a little and then closed, requiring that I reopen the game. When I do reopen it, though, the same thing happens. This also happens with any other program that lags on my PC, like VSCode and Firefox have. Is there any way for me to stop it from closing my programs so I can instead wait out the lag? Otherwise many apps become unusable.

Many thanks for whoever takes their time to read this!

1 Like

Welcome to the forum! :wave:

Hint: Don’t type the $ or # :wink:

When you see them in front of a command, this is what they mean:

User prompt:

$

Root prompt:

# 
4 Likes

Welcome to Manjaro! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1. Please read the information behind this link. It will help you to post necessary information.

[HowTo] Provide System Information

1. Please press the three dots below your post and then press the :pencil2:
  • If you give us information about your system, we can see what we’re talking about and make better suggestions.
  • You can do this by using inxi in a terminal or in console.
sudo inxi --admin --verbosity=7 --filter --no-host --width
  • Personally identifiable information such as serial numbers and MAC addresses are filtered out by this command
  • Presenting the information in this way allows everyone to be familiar with the format and quickly find the items they need without missing anything.
  1. Copy the output from inxi (including the command) and paste it into your post.
  • To make it more readable, add 3 backticks ``` on an extra line before and after the pasted text.
    (Wisdom lies in reading :wink: )

Switch from Windows - how to use GNU/Linux:

May be, you have not enough RAM ! (see @ inxi)

Do you have swap - space ? (see @ inxi)

3 Likes