New to linux overall, using swaywm with manjaro

I need guidance on doing a few tasks or just a straight forward link to a documentation I can read to understand what I need to do here.

I need to do the following things:

• change default terminal to be alacritty (I have tried to edit .config/sway/config and doing set $term alacritty but I dont quite think it has worked, infact I dont even know what terminal its using when I press super enter, because both foot and alacritty use opaque windows where as this terminal uses translucent windows).
  • change terminal font and font size, its getting very hard to read, i have to like spam ctrl and + every time i open terminal to be able to read. On other distros I can just right click terminal and then change settings
  • change shell from zsh to bash (I like bash more)
  • make terminals opaque, (me like opaque :+1: :+1: :+1:)
  • adjust spacing between tiled windows, I prefer to have no spacing.
  • I have a dual monitor setup (i set up the arrangement and stuff already thanks to a guide on yt) and on windows i prefer to only have a taskbar on one screen to free up more screen space. Now on linux i have 2 “top bars” and I would like to get rid of one of them from either primary or secondary monitor.
  • (ill figure this out on my own) change alacritty theme to gruv_box dark

Using also sway. So you are new to linux and you just start with sway :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

The configs are very good documented:

• /etc/sway/
  • ~/.config/sway/

I have found everything I need there.

yes, if you dont mind could you link me to the documentation.

This?
https://swaywm.org/
Home · swaywm/sway Wiki · GitHub

man -k sway

Sorry, but there is no simple how-to. You have to go through the manual and test things.

ok thanks

Anything labeled a “Window Manager” (Sway, i3, etc.) is intended for more experienced users. Not that a new user can’t use it, but you are expected to know how to configure things yourself and be good at google-fu. If you want a bit of an easier experience I recommend sticking with only things labelled “Desktop Environment” (GNOME, KDE, XFCE, Cinnamon, etc.) until you get the hang of how things tend to be done in Linux.

1 Like

i have the time and energy to learn so im gonna try doing that, if it doesnt work out then i can always swap out my ssd

Add a file here:
~/.config/sway/definitions.d/terminal.conf

set $term /usr/bin/alacritty
set $term_cwd $term --working-directory "$(swaycwd 2>/dev/null || echo $HOME)"

If you are using foot, you can do it here:
~/.config/foot/foot.ini

font=RobotoMono Nerd Font Mono:size=12
chsh -s /bin/bash

Never done.

Never done. Default is perfect for me.

These files: /etc/sway/outputs/*

2 Likes

thanks man very helpful

sudo chsh redpz -s /bin/bash
Changing shell for redpz.
chsh: Shell not changed.

bruh

sudo chsh -s /bin/bash
[sudo] password for redpz:
Changing shell for root.
chsh: Shell not changed.

i could do something really naughty and put

bash
clear

in my .zshrc xd

I changed shell via alacritty config so ig it wasnt that much of a problem

Bruh, nobody told you to use sudo.

1 Like

i did without sudo first then with sudo :+1::+1::+1:

For a command that changes user preferences (e.g. chsh, passwd, etc.), running it with sudo will change the preferences for root instead of your user.

yeah i noticed after running it with and without sudo. The -h also tols me that i could specify a user so i did that with sudo chsh -s /bin/bash redpz and it said it would change the shell for me and it just fails so

You can run chsh without any arguments and it’s interactive. Run it as $USER, use $USER password, as $ROOT, use $ROOT password. They don’t need to be the same shell.

right i got that but it still said failed

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.