New Raspberry Pi Kernels & Related Packages

Here are the new 5.4 and 5.9 kernels I pushed to the unstable branch when the mirrors sync.

As of this post the 5.10 kernel has not been upgraded in the RPi tree. Also the raspberrypi-bootloader has not been upgraded to the new 5.4 kernel. Sometimes they are a little slow upgrading raspberrypi-bootloader and sometimes they hold off to another kernel upgrade.

linux-rpi4 5.4.80-1
linux-rpi4-headers 5.4.80-1
linux-rpi4-mainline 5.9.11-1
linux-rpi4-mainline-headers 5.9.11-1
1 Like

Reboot ok for my rpi4 4G & rpi4 8G

I have one question regarding the rpivid driver :
According to staging: media: Add Raspberry Pi V4L2 H265 decoder · raspberrypi/linux@a44b0f8 · GitHub

there is a h265 driver. I think that former kernels (in that branch) were already compiled with such option… but anyway, do you konw how to test it if it is used ?

One way is to install the kodi 19 HEVC test packages I posted in the forums and try it out on kernel 5.9 and see if it is doing HW decoding. The instructions to compile the new kodi was to compile with kernel 5.10 headers so I do not know how it will do.

I know it is working with kodi in the repo on the 32 bit os.

I can not test until tonight as I have to go to town.

One possible explanation is that the RPi kernel is leagues above upstream as they have only one mission in developing for the pi. Lots of their work is submitted upstream. The arch-arm only does upstream for their 64 bit kernel and this is where I got the PKGBUILD for Kodi 19. It is based off the work of a member of the Rpi team who is also a contributor to Kodi.

I just tested HEVC (h265) with the 5.9.11kernel and yes it will play using HW decoding with the test kodi 19 package I made.

UPDATE:

I tested the 5.4.80 kernel and it will not do h265 HW decoding.

Just pushed the new linux-rpi4-rc 5.10.rc6 kernel/headers to the unstable branch when the mirrors sync.

linux-rpi4-rc 5.10.rc6-1
linux-rpi4-rc-headers 5.10.rc6-1
1 Like

The kernel upgrade went smoothly, thank you.

1 Like

THX, we’re closed to the released I will give a try.

anybody got cec working on rpi4 64bit OS ? or can try it out ? seems cec client ( eg. TV remote ) is not working …

I have all cec modules that arch-arm has enabled and more in the kernel.

I have no way to test but when I was building the kodi 19 packages I noticed on the arch-arm forum one guy said his cec did not work until he built and installed the armv7 libcec package. I see there is a diff in the way it is compiled:

It will not let me do bold in the next section for some reason. Just rem out the next 6 lines after the arch= line.

arch=(‘x86_64’ ‘aarch64’)

#if [[ $CARCH == ‘armv7h’ ]]; then
#CONFIG=’-DHAVE_EXYNOS_API=1’
#fi

#if [[ $CARCH == ‘aarch64’ ]]; then
#CONFIG=’-DHAVE_AOCEC_API=1’
#fi

cmake …
-DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release
-DBUILD_SHARED_LIBS=1
-DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr
-DCMAKE_INSTALL_LIBDIR=/usr/lib
-DCMAKE_INSTALL_LIBDIR_NOARCH=/usr/lib
#${CONFIG}
-DHAVE_EXYNOS_API=1’

https://archlinuxarm.org/packages/armv7h/libcec

Hi

I tried to build the way you suggested, wasnt lucky :slight_smile: but I use BT keyboard to control kodi ( kinda workaround ) and I must say the progress and performance is very good with 5.10 rc6 and kodi 19a on aarm64. I use it as a daily driver now.

Normally I have installed alarm/libcec-rpi to 6.0.2-2 · graysky2/PKGBUILDs@e359e22 · GitHub

I know graysky opened a bug on libcec - apparently something is broken and one more bug on ubuntu arm 64 bit ( dont see much activity on the project so I guess It will take a while )

1 Like

Here is the latest kernels pushed to the unstable branch when the mirrors sync. They have not upgraded the raspberrypi-bootloader to the latest kernel yet. It is still sitting on kernel 5.4.79 but they did make one little commit so I built the 2 raspberrypi-bootloader packages so it will be up to date with their tree.

linux-rpi4 5.4.81-1
linux-rpi4-headers 5.4.81-1
linux-rpi4-mainline 5.9.12-1
linux-rpi4-mainline-headers 5.9.12-1
linux-rpi4-rc 5.10.rc7-1
linux-rpi4-rc-headers 5.10.rc7-1
raspberrypi-bootloader 20201130-1
raspberrypi-bootloader-x 20201130-1

rc7, anyone try FULL-kms work?

v5.9.12-1 works fine for my rpi4 4Go and my rpi4 8 go

I’ve been using on and off a while now. It’s running ok but it’s little bit hot in the heat of Australia.

Linux ManPi 5.10.0-rc7-1-MANJARO-ARM #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Dec 7 21:25:58 CST 2020 aarch64 GNU/Linux

21:53:48 up  4:04,  1 user,  load average: 3.02, 2.26, 0.98

Yes, kms works.

forgot to mention, X or wayland?
im use wayland/sway, and it asked kms to load and halted.

I am running Wayland on mesa-git with Plasma. I plan to switch back to mesa 20.3 this evening, I think it is in arm-unstable now. The only issue I have, is when switching over to X11, kwin’s compositor crashes on load.

1 Like

I am also using wayland and kms wont work
i am using kernel 5.10 rc 7
Xfce lightdm
Mesa-git install

Unfortunately, today’s update breaks my system. I know it is not the mesa-git package… so either the kernel and/or the bootloader update.

I rolled back the updates and rebooted which restored my system.

And I know sddm hangs before it is displayed, no errors noticed in strace… but I forgot to check the Xorg log. It is more than likely an issue with X11 not starting properly.