New Motherboard, reinstall?

I cam just keep it as is on system right?

What mainboard did you have and what mainboard is it now ?

Maybe.

That’s the best I can offer without more information.

Depends on the hardware changes. For example, if you switch from Intel to AMD CPU, you need to install amd-ucode (and remove intel-ucode later). Some wifi cards may need additional driver packages. If dGPU changed, the whole graphics setup must be changed as well, etc.

Since you didn’t give us specifics, we can’t help you.

It is possible that you can use the same install. I, for example, moved my system from one laptop to another with completely different hardware, and it worked, but I had to consider the changes, add/remove some packages, change some configurations, etc.

There is a chance that with similar hardware, you won’t need to do any changes, but again, it depends.

You cam. (Seriously though, is this a competition to make the most useless post?)

2 Likes

Interesting to note is that amd-ucode and intel-ucode can coexist - neither has to be removed. I had a few systems with Linux in a removable caddy, and swapped between disparate computers for several years, without any ill affect. Linux is quite resilient. Naturally, your mileage may vary.

1 Like

yes, I tried this already…

Hush now, let’s not open up that cam of worms.

I had a TIA ib 2917 man, I have some typos. [GIGABYTE B550I AORUS PRO AX (AM4 AMD/B550/Mini-Itx/Dual M.2/SATA 6Gb/s/USB 3.2 Gen 1/WiFi 6/2.5 GbE LAN/PCIe4.0/Realtek ALC1220-Vb/DisplayPort 1.4/2xHDMI 2.0B/RGB Fusion 2.0/DDR4/Gaming Motherboard) is what I will be putting in replacing a MSI Performance Gaming AMD Ryzen 1st and 2nd Gen AM4 M.2 USB 3 DDR4 HDMI Display Port Mini-ITX Motherboard (B450I GAMING Plus AC)

In this case, you should perform a reinstallation.
Do you have a separate home partition.

Yeah, I heard. Sorry.

I think it should work fine. If you have some booting problem, just try fallback image.

No issues now.

1 Like

Phew thank god I only read this thread now. I have been dd’ing my disk to new computers for years now and never really had a problem. Always Intel processors though. Just make sure you have UEFI/Legacy boot and secure boot settings the same. I think that might cause trouble otherwise.

You can also use the search option, your question was already solved. Almost at the same time as you created this topic :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: