Networkmanager can't start VPN, fails to save password

A problem just popped up. I guess it was caused by the stable update of August 22 or 28.

I can’t get Networkmanager to connect to my work-vpn anymore. The VPN worked fine before. I did not change anything related to networking or the VPN.

When I open the VPN-configuration through Networkmanager, I see that the field for the password for the private key is empty. When I enter the password and click ‘Apply’, the password is not being saved and hence I cannot connect to the VPN.

When I start the VPN from the command line and manually enter the password, the VPN-connection starts normally and works fine.

Conclusion: OpenVPN and my VPN config are fine, and Networkmanager developed amnesia.

How to proceed fixing this problem?

DE is Cinnamon.

The NetworkManager saves the passwords with the gnome-keyring. You should search there for problem. Is it installed?

Thanks for the reply! Yes, gnome-keyring is installed.

1 Like

Okay… Networkmanager works again, for some reason. Previous reboots didn’t fix the problem, but now, after another reboot, the VPN connects again through Networkmanager.

Marking this as solved, even though I don’t know how or why…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.