Network drive doesn't show up anymore in Linux? (Mate)

Did not change a thing, just one day it was gone. Router is NETGEAR Nighthawk Smart Wi-Fi Router, R6700 - AC1750 Wireless Speed Up to 1750 Mbps | Up to 1500 Sq Ft Coverage & 25 Devices | 4 x 1G Ethernet and 1 x 3.0 USB Ports | Armor Security It is just for us to store files, not anything special.

Does the router see the drive? Is it giving it an ip address? Do you have the router setup to give static or dynamic ip addresses?

Yes, yes & dynamic.

How is the drive mounted in linux? Do you have it setup to mount with the /etc/fstab file or do you just let the OS automout it?

It just saw it before, no setup needed.

Ok, what is the name and model of the drive, what is its ip address, and what is the drive formatted to (fat32, NTFS, ext2, etc)?

Putting the IP on the forum, is that safe?
Crucial solid state 2 GB.
NTFS

The ip of a network drive is relatively safe since it will be a local address given out by the router, not the address you get from your isp. Someone would have to know the one from the isp (an astronomical possibility) to even try and access it.

That’s your internet address. Your local network address should start with 192.168.xxx.xxx .10.xxx.xxx.xxx 172.xxx.xxx.xxx.

Should be made static. I know routers ‘reserve’ ips for recognised devices but for permanent network devices static is safer.

hmmm.
Another system in house sees it.

This is lacking a lot of information that would have been helpful from the first post.

What “network drive”? A NAS appliance? A WD MyCloud? The router attached to a USB drive? I’m assuming it’s the last option because you mention the router has USB 3.0 ports.

You still didn’t share how you’re accessing it. Directly via the file browser? Via fstab/mount/systemd?

Did you update your Manjaro system recently? Did you reboot since facing this issue? (Yes, it sounds silly, but might in fact resolve the issue.)

Sorry wrong IP it is 192.168.1.1, it is plugged into USB, I access through file browser, it disappeared from the file browse before I did a update & no I rebooted many times.

What disappeared? The automatically populated entry under the “Network” shortcut?

Can you still access it by manually typing into the file browser’s address bar:
smb://192.168.1.1/sharename

Sorry, yes & yes.

It might be a “network discovery” issue then.

It’s preferable to just access the share directly, which you can make more convenient with a shortcut / bookmark.

Such a bookmark can be placed on the side-panel of your file browser for quick access.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.