Need help setting up tp-battery-mode

Hello,

I have a thinkpad laptop and I am trying to implement the tp-battery-mode program to save battery life. A few days ago, I had to reinstall manjaro and I am not able to set up the program on the new installation. I successfully did this before but this time it does not work.

This is the tutorial I followed.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Tp-battery-mode

Could anybody help me finding out what is wrong?

System Information

Manufacturer: LENOVO

Product Name: 20TA004GUS

Version: ThinkPad E14 Gen 2

Thanks.

Why not?

What didn’t work?

Please see [HowTo] Request support

FYI, the tp-battery-mode project has had no activity since 2015. It’s possible something may need to be adjusted for newer hardware and/or libraries.

I followed the instructions as before. This program worked for me for many years. But this time, after setting up the program no changes took place and the battery still charges to 1oo% rather than stopping at 8o%.
No error messages - nothing.
Does anyone know any other program that can be substituted for this one.
Thanks a lot.

I find that very hard to believe.

What’s the output of:

systemctl status tp-battery-mode.service
 systemctl status tp-battery-mode.service                                                                                                        INT ✘  5m 9s  
● tp-battery-mode.service - Set battery charge thresholds using tpacpi-bat
     Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/tp-battery-mode.service; enabled; preset: disabled)
     Active: active (exited) since Fri 2022-11-18 22:40:35 EST; 18h ago
    Process: 345 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/tp-battery-mode start (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
   Main PID: 345 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
        CPU: 17ms

Nov 18 22:40:35 jmak-20ta004gus systemd[1]: Starting Set battery charge thresholds using tpacpi-bat...
Nov 18 22:40:35 jmak-20ta004gus tp-battery-mode[348]: libkmod: kmod_config_parse: /etc/modprobe.d/acpicall.conf line 1: ignoring bad line starting with 'modprobe'
Nov 18 22:40:35 jmak-20ta004gus tp-battery-mode[348]: modprobe: FATAL: Module acpi_call not found in directory /lib/modules/5.15.78-1-MANJARO
Nov 18 22:40:35 jmak-20ta004gus tp-battery-mode[346]: Could not find /proc/acpi/call. Is module acpi_call loaded?
Nov 18 22:40:35 jmak-20ta004gus tp-battery-mode[350]: libkmod: kmod_config_parse: /etc/modprobe.d/acpicall.conf line 1: ignoring bad line starting with 'modprobe'
Nov 18 22:40:35 jmak-20ta004gus tp-battery-mode[350]: modprobe: FATAL: Module acpi_call not found in directory /lib/modules/5.15.78-1-MANJARO
Nov 18 22:40:35 jmak-20ta004gus tp-battery-mode[349]: Could not find /proc/acpi/call. Is module acpi_call loaded?
Nov 18 22:40:35 jmak-20ta004gus systemd[1]: Finished Set battery charge thresholds using tpacpi-bat.

The output is truncated and unreadable. Please make your terminal window full-screen, run the command again then edit your previous post and update the output.

EDIT: You did not follow my instructions. I’ve done it for you.

It appears you need the acpi_call kernel module: linux515-acpi_call.

Also, looks like a wrong syntax in:

`/etc/modprobe.d/acpicall.conf line 1: ignoring bad line starting with 'modprobe'`

Possibly, I did see that. However, he’s missing a required kernel module as I mentioned above. First thing’s first. :wink:

Thanks.
I installed the module, I rebooted, unplugged the laptop and now, I wait till the battery charge drops below 8o% to test it.

In the meantime, here is the new output:

systemctl status tp-battery-mode.service                                                                                                                      ✔ 
● tp-battery-mode.service - Set battery charge thresholds using tpacpi-bat
     Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/tp-battery-mode.service; enabled; preset: disabled)
     Active: active (exited) since Sat 2022-11-19 17:42:13 EST; 1min 56s ago
    Process: 336 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/tp-battery-mode start (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
   Main PID: 336 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
        CPU: 21ms

Nov 19 17:42:12 jmak-20ta004gus systemd[1]: Starting Set battery charge thresholds using tpacpi-bat...
Nov 19 17:42:13 jmak-20ta004gus systemd[1]: Finished Set battery charge thresholds using tpacpi-bat.

Thanks,
This fixed the glitch.
I saved the fix for future reference.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.