Need advice on how to lower CPU heat when gaming

The best you can do with a laptop is buy one of those cooler stands for it to help it, other than that laptops aren’t the best when it comes to cooling, Happy gaming <3

Depending on the BIOS, you can often under-volt your CPU. Lower power = less heat. This is in every desktop motherboard that I buy, but a lot of laptops don’t even let you do this. I know I have had a mix of both for laptops.

If you’re allowed to set these values, it is still a lot of trial and error to find the lowest voltages you can run with stability.

I use KDE, but power profiles are not very helpful or I don’t know yet how to use them - are there any inner tweaks in them?
No bios options to tweak CPU either.
I have powerful CPU and two GPUs - Intel and Nvidia - but I don’t want to provide hardware info due to privacy reasons. If you need some specifics, please ask.

I appreciate your help and advices, but I don’t wanna buy new hardware and I’m fully aware of the limit temp of my CPU.

I need something similar to what it was on Windows with CPU state parameter in the power settings. I could tweak it on need-basis with no harm to CPU and fully control it.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/TLP

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/CPU_frequency_scaling

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Power_management

I appreciate these links, but I don’t want to go hardcore with trying them and probably break things along the way, that’s why I ask for advice on the topic.

You won’t give system information, but you also don’t like to read about your options?
TLP may be the most promising and easy to use.
But I don’t know whether it would interfere with an (possibly - we don’t know) already existing power profiles thingy.

Not sure what you expect.

You won’t give specifics so we can know how to approach your issue.
You won’t use the information given to figure out yourself which approach most promising.
Within the Linux community providing documentation is one of the best advises you could get.
And that’s a positive.

1 Like

There’s no need to throw rotten tomatoes simply because you don’t understand what I said.
Sometimes it’s better to eat than talk.

Hi @crazzy_dude,

I’m afraid if you want something completely idiot-proof, something point-and-click only, Manjaro and I dare say Linux isn’t for you. Please work thorough this:

4 Likes

FYI: I just deleted my post re the $PATH in your other thread
Good luck!

Where did you get that from exactly?

Just a general observation. Nothing specific. But I do find it interesting that this is the specific part of what I said that you choose to focus on…

:man_shrugging:

Are you for real now?
Your observation led you to conclusion that linux and manjaro isn’t for me.

But I’m not here to argue.
Have a nice day.

Yes.

It might not be. :man_shrugging:

Could have fooled me.

I guarantee you I am.

3 Likes

i close this topic as solved because it’s obvious that there won’t be any useful posts upcoming. sad but the thread-owner has expectations that an arch-based rolling release cannot deliver to someone new into linux.

3 Likes

Something that seems to have been overlooked:

Hi @crazzy_dude and welcome to the Manjaro community.

Heating (or rather, overheating) is an issue many people battle with when wanting to play intensive games and other applications. With laptops, generally, your options are limited mainly by hardware capabilities, or lack thereof; additional cooling is seldom ever a viable possibility. Instead, one’s only resolve is to play with various profiles in a vain hope to achieve a happy state you can live with. A desktop system by it’s nature has far better options.

However, this point that another first-time-poster has made, is something that often gets lost among all the noise. A simple ‘cooler stand’ can sometimes make all the difference, in addition to anything else you try:

…and @MythicCipher025 welcome to the Manjaro community, also.

A little housekeeping for both of you…

As new users, please take some time to familiarise yourselves with Forum requirements; in particular, the many ways to use the forum to your benefit. To that end, some or all these links will be invaluable:

And last, but not least, the Stable Update Announcements, which you should check frequently for important update related information. Occasionally an issue might be directly related to a particular update; it’s always best to check those announcements.

I hope this helps. Cheers.

Edit:- I have reopened this topic. Despite any apparent expectation, the OP has nonetheless demonstrated a willingness to learn (as observed in several concurrent threads). Perhaps with some humility and guidance we can assist with that goal.

I’m aware of all the above and I explicitly said that, too:

All I need is a simple CPU state manipulation on an as-needed basis.
Same as it was on Windows, or close to it. If there’s none - that’s also an answer - but I doubt that’s the case.

I appreciate you took the time and re-opened the thread.

The issue you fail to acknowledge is, that there are solutions. Some are just as simple as you know them from Windows. But they are not as universal and might not be applicable to your case.
So you either need to provide more information so someone might know of an applicable solution for your hardware and how to set it up.
Or you will have to read the documentation provided and figure out yourself if and/or which of the solutions can be applied.

That said in your original post you stated that you don’t just want a simple solution, but a full control deep dive.

This is exactly what most of the Linux solutions will provide at the cost, that they are usually for a specific set of hardware, and don’t just have a single slider in a GUI instead more often than not will need you to set them up with command promts in terminal or set up some scripts.

As you are now asking for the simple slider, and are running KDE. Did you take a look at the system tray setting (on latest it is combined with brightness) i mentiond is my first post of this thread if that suffices?

1 Like

I’ll drop this here for consideration;

When asking for help/support then output from the following command is generally the absolute minimum required in order for others to do more than make unqualified guesses. In the event of a deeper issue, logs will almost always be needed to help find a solution.

All this and more is already noted in links previously given.

inxi --admin --verbosity=8 --filter --no-host --width

Cheers.

Thanks for this <3, i have been a long time user in many different distro forums, and love helping members out! i have also been here before but stepped away from manjaro for some time. i decided to come back because i just love this system so much. i’ll do my best to help the community and hope i can learn some stuff along the way as well, thank you got having me