Mysterious behaviour of Google Chrome and Spotify

Good evening - I have worked my way through the search, but unfortunately did not find what I was looking for. Hence my unloved question here at this point. (Yes, I know, you should use Chromium and not the Google plague.) Unfortunately, an important app for speech recognition - which is very important for me - only works in the “original Google derivative” - so I use it.

Now to the actual problem:

System: Mate - current distribution - Manjaro (Same behaviour also under Gnome).

When I auto login, Spotify or Chrome asks me for my password to unlock a keychain. The next time I log in automatically, this happens again and it’s annoying.

If, on the other hand, I don’t let myself log in automatically, it doesn’t happen that I’m asked for a password to unlock.

I know the solution of deleting the password in the keyring manager and leaving it blank - but this doesn’t help for long, it resets itself by magic at some point.

My nerves would really appreciate a helpful tip!
Thank you!

Solution: Disable logging in automatically as the keyring does not get unlocked. The same thing applies to logging in with a fingerprint reader for some reason.

1 Like

But that doesn’t sound like a solution, it sounds like a desperate way around the problem.

Nevertheless, thank you very much for your approach.

PS: I think I have found a solution in the last hour, but I have to try it first before I give hope to many annoyed and desperate people here.

You can also set empty password for keyring. But this is not recommended and mean your secrets will be unencrypted.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/GNOME/Keyring#PAM_step

automatic login = no automatic keyring unlock.
You could have ~something~ prompt you to unlock the keyring after autologin though.
Either way … you will have to be prompted at some point to decrypt them somehow.

2 Likes

Let’s have a look - actually 5th reboot without secrets under spotify and chrome ^^ 10 times more and I build up a firework for my own. After more then 5 years killing my nerves with that stupid bug.