Mysql server install

Hola necesito ayuda, intento instalar mysql server pero nunca me permite ingresar (la interfaz grafica de mysql workbench no me interesa tanto ya que es eso solo una interfaz). Pero necesito la ayuda para instalarlo desde 0 (el servidor la versión actual.) para ver si tuve un error. Gracias.

(English Version).
Hi I need help, I try to install mysql server but it never allows me to login (the graphical interface of mysql workbench does not interest me so much as it is just an interface). But I need help to install it from 0 (the server the current version.) to see if I had a mistake. Thank you.

Please read the wiki page

All the info is valuable - but especially the security section should be observed.

I have already read it, and I have tried to do it by myself more than 10 times.

One place where many falls short is the root password - I know I did back then - the root password in context of mariadb is not the system root password but the dbserver’s root - and when queried the first time - the password is empty.

Quotes from the wiki page

Install mariadb, and run the following command before starting the mariadb.service:

# mariadb-install-db --user=mysql --basedir=/usr --datadir=/var/lib/mysql

Next step

Improve initial security

The mysql_secure_installation command will interactively guide you through a number of recommended security measures, such as removing anonymous accounts and removing the test database:

# mysql_secure_installation

Sure, but I am installing mysql server, not mariadb, and the password happens as such, I put the “temporary” password, I put the new one, but when I use “mysql -u root -p” I get an error, which I try to install “ncurses5-compat-libs” and it still gives me error in “/configure line 30735: make: command not fund. Error: a failure occurred in build().”

But suppose I install mariadb, can I use the mysql workbench interface?

mariadb is functionally equivalent of mysql

OK OK, and with mariadb, how can I link the workbench interface to it ?
for mariadb I could install and use it but I have no graphical interface, and I would like to use workbench.

exactly the same way as mysql theres no difference in connection - mariadb is a drop-in replacement for mysql.

I have used mysql workbench with mariadb - no problem

if there is no difference it is ok, but when I install mysql workbench it does not allow me to use the password nor to make the connection test.

if you succeeded, how can I use workbench with mariadb?

with workbench gives me this:
Store Password
Could not store password : The name org.freedesktop.secrets was not
provided by any.service files

Do you have make installed?
For build AUR packages, base-devel group is recommended:

$ sudo pacman -Syu base-devel --needed

Before you setup mariadb - ensure your system is fully updated - reboot if kernel has been synced

sudo pacman -Syu
  1. Switch to root account

su -l root

2. installation

pacman -S mariadb mysql-workbench

3. setup the system database

mariadb-install-db --user=mysql --basedir=/usr --datadir=/var/lib/mysql

4. enable and start the service

systemctl enable --now mysql

5. harden install (part of this is denying root login)

mysql_secure_installation

6. create a user (example from wiki) - to create a sysadmin like user change mydb.* to *.*

# mysql -u root -p

MariaDB> CREATE USER 'monty'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY 'some_pass';
    MariaDB> GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON mydb.* TO 'monty'@'localhost';
    MariaDB> FLUSH PRIVILEGES;
    MariaDB> quit

7. switch out of the root account

exit

Done

Since Mariadb reports database v10 - Mysql Workbench will complain as the version is newer than anything it knows of - this shouldn’t matter.

This is a missing keyring

This is not needed for mariadb. This is only needed for building mysql from AUR - and the requirements are usually fetched automagically by pamac.

1 Like

no I don’t have it, once installed, what should I do?

Thanks buddy I will try to do that :smiley: thanks a lot for the help and suggestion. <3

I installed everything again, from 0 mariadb and workbench but workbench keeps giving me the “Store Password” problem.
Could not store password: The name org.freedesktop.secrets was not provided by any .service file".
provided by any .service file".

This is the solution, plus the key ring is also added . https://forum.manjaro.org/t/interfaz-para-mariadb-interface-for-mariadb/121106/3?u=fixnit

Once again thank you very much to everyone who helped me, you are a great community.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.