My monitor is going black randomly

Feb 13 07:50:44 nicholas kernel: tsc: Unable to calibrate against PIT
Feb 13 07:50:44 nicholas kernel: Expanded resource Reserved due to conflict with PCI Bus 0000:00
Feb 13 07:50:55 nicholas kernel: nvidia: loading out-of-tree module taints kernel.
Feb 13 07:50:55 nicholas kernel: nvidia: module license 'NVIDIA' taints kernel.
Feb 13 07:50:55 nicholas kernel: Disabling lock debugging due to kernel taint
Feb 13 07:50:55 nicholas kernel: 
Feb 13 07:50:55 nicholas kernel: NVRM: loading NVIDIA UNIX x86_64 Kernel Module  525.89.02  Wed Feb  1 23:23:25 UTC 2023
Feb 13 07:50:55 nicholas kernel: acpi PNP0C14:02: duplicate WMI GUID 05901221-D566-11D1-B2F0-00A0C9062910 (first instance was on PNP0C14:01)
Feb 13 07:50:55 nicholas kernel: kvm: disabled by bios
Feb 13 07:50:55 nicholas kernel: nvidia_uvm: module uses symbols from proprietary module nvidia, inheriting taint.
Feb 13 07:50:55 nicholas kernel: thermal thermal_zone0: failed to read out thermal zone (-61)
Feb 13 07:50:55 nicholas kernel: kauditd_printk_skb: 57 callbacks suppressed
Feb 13 07:50:56 nicholas systemd[913]: ConfigurationDirectory 'bluetooth' already exists but the mode is different. (File system: 755 ConfigurationDirectoryMode: 555)
Feb 13 07:50:58 nicholas bluetoothd[913]: profiles/audio/vcp.c:vcp_init() D-Bus experimental not enabled
Feb 13 07:50:58 nicholas bluetoothd[913]: src/plugin.c:plugin_init() Failed to init vcp plugin
Feb 13 07:50:58 nicholas bluetoothd[913]: profiles/audio/mcp.c:mcp_init() D-Bus experimental not enabled
Feb 13 07:50:58 nicholas bluetoothd[913]: src/plugin.c:plugin_init() Failed to init mcp plugin
Feb 13 07:50:58 nicholas bluetoothd[913]: profiles/audio/bap.c:bap_init() D-Bus experimental not enabled
Feb 13 07:50:58 nicholas bluetoothd[913]: src/plugin.c:plugin_init() Failed to init bap plugin
Feb 13 07:51:01 nicholas kernel: kauditd_printk_skb: 33 callbacks suppressed
Feb 13 07:51:12 nicholas kernel: kauditd_printk_skb: 32 callbacks suppressed
Feb 13 07:51:34 nicholas lightdm[1324]: gkr-pam: unable to locate daemon control file
Feb 13 07:51:34 nicholas kernel: kauditd_printk_skb: 14 callbacks suppressed
Feb 13 07:51:36 nicholas mate-session[1359]: WARNING: Unable to find provider '' of required component 'dock'
Feb 13 07:51:36 nicholas gnome-keyring-daemon[1398]: discover_other_daemon: 1
Feb 13 07:51:40 nicholas gnome-keyring-daemon[1456]: discover_other_daemon: 1
Feb 13 07:51:40 nicholas gnome-keyring-daemon[1457]: discover_other_daemon: 1
Feb 13 07:51:40 nicholas gnome-keyring-daemon[1504]: discover_other_daemon: 1
Feb 13 07:51:42 nicholas kernel: kauditd_printk_skb: 22 callbacks suppressed
Feb 13 07:51:48 nicholas pulseaudio[1412]: stat('/etc/pulse/default.pa.d'): No such file or directory
Feb 13 07:51:50 nicholas wnck-applet[1613]: gtk_distribute_natural_allocation: assertion 'extra_space >= 0' failed
Feb 13 07:51:50 nicholas clock-applet[1615]: Negative content width -7 (allocation 1, extents 4x4) while allocating gadget (node button, owner GtkToggleButton)
Feb 13 07:53:05 nicholas msm_notifier[1503]: QProcess: Destroyed while process ("pacman") is still running.

Moderator edit: In the future, please use proper formatting: [HowTo] Post command output and file content as formatted text

when posting output use formating, click this icon in editer: </> and copy the output thereā€¦
well i dont really see anything in the logsā€¦ there are som applet related logs, so try to disable all extensions and see ā€¦
you can also switch to another kernel and try with itā€¦

so try to disable all extensions and see ā€¦

How? What kernel would be good to try, I want a stable one? I will just try the log thing first, is there a way to see if it is my video card with logs, in Windows it has been fine so far, I am not in Windows that much though. Just a few hours this week.

yes disable all extensions and test itā€¦
if the logs above are from when the black screen happened, there is nothing there related to your video card, so its not because of itā€¦
i dont know what kernel do you use and have installed, so post output from:
mhwd-kernel -li

type or paste code here
```Currently running: 5.15.93-1-MANJARO (linux515)

The following kernels are installed in your system:
   * linux515

How do I disable all extentions?

you are running mate, so i have no idea how, or if it even has extensionsā€¦ but i assume it has something like thatā€¦

install the kernel 6.1:
sudo mhwd-kernel -i linux61
reboot, you should automatically boot with it, but just to be sure check with:
uname -r
and test with it

I did not install any, so if you can have them it should have none.

so install the kernel and try with itā€¦

Yep, still goes black, no big deal, but it would be nice to know why.

Interesting, I thought I was alone getting a black screen now and then. It doesnā€™t happen often, maybe a handful of times over the last year or so, but I do recognize the issue.

Like you say, itā€™s not important for me either. The image comes back after maybe a second or two, so there clearly is something going on, but completely unclear what.

I donā€™ t have an NVIDIA card, but an AMD Radeon card, so Iā€™m unsure if itā€™s related to card drivers. Something about that environment energy savings thing perhaps? Or OpenGL or something?

As I recall, last it happened the screen had been on for a while, then that black screen happened, it turned on again and ran for another five-ten minutes or so, after which it entered into savings mode. Now itā€™s been quite some time since it last happened, so it might have corrected itself, given that I use a different card and have gone through a fair amount of system updates. Today I switched kernel to the 6.1 LTS, but even before that it was a long time since I saw the behavior, maybe sometime before Christmas or so.

Not really much help, I know, but just to make it clear that itā€™s not just an NVIDIA issue. Although, judging from what I read in the Forum, it seems lots of issues can be blamed on those cards, or rather their incompatible drivers.

Most of the time it has been fine, when it happens I get the box that says Asus with DisplayPort under it when it goes & comes back. I mean, no big deal, but no idea whatā€™s behind the bug. I had it with the generic driver also. It can happen to me watching a video then do it again a few later.

This has been happening for abit, montish. Anyway no screen saver or Power Man is off. I went to a log viewer & found Information [ 112.293] (ā€“) NVIDIA(GPU-0): DFP-4: disconnected, what does that mean?

Actually this claims that you have unplugged the cable from port4 to your monitor :rofl:

But I donā€™t think you did. :+1:

(This can also mean that your graphics card has performed a reset, and therefore lost the connection for a short time)

Hmmm, how do I check if it is a hardware issue? Havenā€™t had any issue in Windows yet, but I hardly boot up in Windows.

Right. As I use nouveau, I had recent issues with the native laptop monitor blanking out or going wonky. The external large 22" monitor stayed fine. On a hunch, I downgraded the compositor I use ā€“ xcompmgr ā€“ from 1.1.9 to 1.1.7 and the problems went away. Go figure.

That is odd.

1 Like

There was also no problem with NO compositor. But I rather like xcompmgr, especially the fade effects. :slight_smile:

You know how I posted a while back on how my screen would go blank randomly & nothing was in log pointing to why. Well I found this video, it is for Windows issues, but it seems it would effect Linux too. My monitor now only has DP 1.2, but I donā€™t see why if the cable from the GPU is DP 1.4 it would not still happen.

Turing (RTX 20-series/GTX 16-series) and newer GPUs already feature the updated firmware. Hence, your DP issues may be unrelated.

ā€“ Nvidia release firmware tool for all 64-bit Windows, fixes DisplayPort black screen, hangs - Neowin

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.