My manjaro installation takes too long to boot and is too slow!

I installed Manjaro with GNOME on my laptop today ( HP Pavillion 8 GB RAM i5 9th gen processor gtx 1650 4gb vRAM 256 GB SSD+1 TB HDD) I installed manjaro on the HDD, windows 10 is installed on the SSD. My manjaro installation is LUKS encrypted.
After entering the LUKS password and selecting manjaro from grub, it takes around 50 seconds to reach the login screen. After entering the password on login screen, it takes around 12 seconds to get to my desktop. I takes around 12 seconds to open firefox and 24 to open thunderbird. This is the first time I have used GNOME but still this seems too slow.

output for systemd-analyze blame is

13.739s NetworkManager-wait-online.service                                     >
 5.182s dev-mapper-luks\x2d8deaa22a\x2d6175\x2d4461\x2d8111\x2dca425bbbae7e.dev>
 5.094s snapd.service                                                          >
 4.745s lvm2-monitor.service                                                   >
 4.427s polkit.service                                                         >
 3.686s systemd-modules-load.service                                           >
 2.848s NetworkManager.service                                                 >
 2.692s systemd-journal-flush.service                                          >
 2.487s systemd-logind.service                                                 >
 2.210s apparmor.service                                                       >
 1.494s systemd-udevd.service                                                  >
 1.483s systemd-tmpfiles-setup-dev.service                                     >
 1.277s udisks2.service                                                        >
 1.085s gdm.service                                                            >
 1.008s ModemManager.service                                                   >
  958ms bluetooth.service                                                      >
  934ms ufw.service                                                            >
  853ms tlp.service                                                            >
  832ms systemd-fsck@dev-disk-by\x2duuid-1A39\x2dE277.service                  >
  819ms colord.service                                                         >
  812ms org.cups.cupsd.service                                                 >
  798ms wpa_supplicant.service                                                 >
  617ms upower.service                                                         >
  572ms systemd-random-seed.service                                            >
  527ms systemd-sysctl.service                                                 >
  386ms systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service                                         >
  384ms accounts-daemon.service                                                >
  365ms systemd-journald.service                                               >
  323ms systemd-udev-trigger.service                                           >
  322ms modprobe@drm.service                                                   >
  290ms snapd.apparmor.service                                                 >
  251ms systemd-rfkill.service                                                 >
  230ms boot-efi.mount                                                         >
  179ms dev-hugepages.mount                                                    >
  177ms dev-mqueue.mount                                                       >
  174ms sys-kernel-debug.mount                                                 >
  172ms sys-kernel-tracing.mount                                               >
  167ms systemd-backlight@backlight:intel_backlight.service                    >
  145ms linux-module-cleanup.service                                           >
  135ms tmp.mount                                                              >
  131ms kmod-static-nodes.service                                              >
  125ms user@1000.service                                                      >
  119ms systemd-update-utmp.service                                            >
   59ms systemd-cryptsetup@luks\x2d8deaa22a\x2d6175\x2d4461\x2d8111\x2dca425bbb>
   57ms systemd-tmpfiles-clean.service                                         >
   51ms systemd-user-sessions.service                                          >
   48ms systemd-remount-fs.service                                             >
   29ms rtkit-daemon.service                                                   >
    6ms user-runtime-dir@1000.service                                          >
    3ms sys-fs-fuse-connections.mount                                          >
    2ms sys-kernel-config.mount                                                >
    1ms snapd.socket

I can’t help you with much in this regard, but do know that booting and working from encrypted storage is always going to impart a performance penalty.

What I can however advise you to do is get rid of NetworkManager-wait-online.service in your boot sequence. It should shave more than 8 seconds off your boot time… :arrow_down:

sudo systemctl disable --now NetworkManager-wait-online.service
sudo systemctl mask NetworkManager-wait-online.service

If you don’t use Snap, then you can do the same with that one, albeit that the gain will be much smaller in this regard… :arrow_down:

sudo systemctl disable --now snapd.service
sudo systemctl mask snapd.service

Everything else in your list appears quite normal to me. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

still takes 45 secs
Ive used mx linux with luks too, it wasnt this slow
Does having a smaller partition make any difference?

That is normal for full disk encryption

When you are running an encrypted system - all tasks will take a little longer.

And when it is installed on a spinning disk - you asked for it - the system takes the time it needs - remember that unlocking a device is one thing - you are giving the system the key - but it still requires everything to be encrypted/decrypted on access.

And for your result of the analysis - I concur - it looks pretty normal.

2 Likes

okay, Thanks! :smile:

Thanks! :smiley:

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.