My Manjaro Installation aborted when I tried to create home director and separate bootloader

Hello there,

First of thank you for taking time to read this issue. I am a relatively new user to Manjaro. I have been using Manjaro for past 2 weeks. During this time I have installed the Distro several times. I always do the following

1. create a partition on my SSD
  2. In the installation screen of Manjaro I create and efi booloater in the WINDOWS system directory
  3. create swap linux
  4. create root file with “/”
  5. Proceed with the install

Today However I added two steps:

1. I created a new directory for bootloading. I allocated 300MB for this volume and made it an “/efi” in mounting point
  2. I also created a home directory. Made it using xFat32 format and assigned it a flag of “home”. I gave it a “/home” mounting. The reason I created a separate home directory as I understand this is best practice of “sequestering” the system files from user files

As I proceeded to my installation however, i failed withe following message.

Installation Failed
External command finished with errors.
Command chown finished with exit code 1.
Output:
chown: changing ownership of ‘/home/sandeep/.zshrc’: Operation not permitted
chown: changing ownership of /home/sandeep’: Operation not permitted

My question is. What did I do wrong. Should i reinstall with creating a home directory and save all files in the root directory ? Could this issue be related to the creation of a seperate bootloader file ?
THanks again.

/home is a system directory and must be on a filesystem that supports POSIX file ownership and permissions. FAT32 does not support those things and may therefore not be used for any of the system directories.

Make /home into an ext4, XFS or btrfs filesystem, but never into FAT32, exFAT or NTFS.

Recommended reading: :arrow_down:

Many thanks Aragorn. I really appreciate your quick reply and the recommended link. I will go ahead and change the format during reinstall and also follow the link of recommended reading.

By the way the reason I used FAT32 was because I wanted to access the directory from Windows boot and Linux boot, but obviously I was wrong to do that. thanks again.

You can use a separate partition for that. Here’s another tutorial I’ve written on the subject. :wink:

:arrow_down: