My Manjaro broke for some reason (Plasma GUI)

Hey, I am not entirely sure what might have caused this issue, since I installed quiet a few things and updated my system in one session, but after I rebooted my laptop my GUI was buggy, this showed in the Application launcher which did not display images anymore. Also my Taskbar is completely green and my items on the desktop have no icons. Here is one example:

Does someone have an idea what the problem might be?
Thanks in advance

Hi @Creapermann,

I suspect the update did not finish, or was incomplete, or something like that. Try resyncing your system.

1. Open a terminal.
  2. Run the following to make sure you mirror pool is correct:
sudo pacman-mirrors -f 5

This will select the 5 fastest mirrors to you.

1. Re-sync the package database and do the update:
pamac upgrade --enable-downgrade --aur --devel
  1. Hold your thumbs, do a little dance, say a prayer, and reboot.

Hope it helps!

You’d do good to work through this:

It is likely you are using an unmaintained theme

• Revert your global theme to Plasma default.
  • Remove any custom packages
  • Log out
  • Switch to TTY
  • Do a full system sync
1 Like

Hey, this did not change anything for me. Do you have another idea?

I am using “breath dark” as a global theme, is it unmaintained?

I clicked the “Default” in “Global theme” and rebooted. I am not sure how I would do a full system sync, sudo pacman -Syu did not have any updates

Just as an FYI — with a potential solution… :arrow_down:

1 Like

If you are continuing to have issue with the desktop - try creating a new user and login using the new user. Use CtrlAltT to open a new konsole window

sudo useradd -m testuser

If your issues goes away using the test user - the issue is with local user configuration.

The issue persists even when on another user

This is exactly my problem, and restarting the plasmashell fixes it. Your solution works, but I would prefer not to type this in every time I reboot. When did this bug started for you?

EDIT: It doesnt fix everything, my titles are still the wrong font

Can I somehow downgrade my plasma version? I heard 5.24.6 was very stable

Check this out KDE plasma bugs after each update [Stable Update] 2022-09-12 - #104 by Aragorn

But I am not sure, that it will work after openssl 3.0 lands in stable branch (there will be a lot of rebuilds for the packages).

1 Like