If it happens only once or twice, it may simply be your ISP dropping the connection temporarily; or resources might be low generally while streaming, which might also produce the same effect; especially on a laptop of that vintage.
However, these are only guesses.
It might be worth trying a slightly older kernel for a few days, to see if that makes a difference.
Thank you for your efforts, the 3 of you.
Although the Hardware Configuration in the KDE settings menu still (also after 3 reboots) shows 8168 installed (and not the proprietary driver checked en plus anymore), inxi -Nazy shows, hopefully correctly, r8169.
I did that and didn’t have to
[not “sudo.mv”] because that file was auto-deleted upon the uninstall of 6168 (the second command above). So I didn’t change anything there.
Now I will observe over next days if the problems persists and hopefully eventually mark the thread as solved. Cheers!
Ok, the problem persists. I always notice at the end of a Duolingo lessen (flatpak). Then the stream I was was watching would continue to run, the its data transferred was shown in the System Tray. Where the connection shows as Limited after a minute or two. Any other connections seems to be refused. If you reload any Firefox tab, including the one with the stream: fail.
I used to have that problem the whole time I was watching Acestream (older python, app was never updgraded), on my main PC.
Yes… I’m using Portmaster. Just looked and it auto updates and downloads filter-list updates (it won’t say how often).
System Tray would however show that traffic? But worth to try shutting it down next time it happens, to rule it out/ see if the problem will go away by that.
It definitely has to do with Portmaster. It even geoblocks me sometimes. Must have to do DNS settings. Let me fondle the settings and a way of running it without the gui and then mark it as solved finally…
Being that it’s beta grade software, no doubt it still has a few wrinkles to iron out. You might also try disabling the blocklists for a time, in case legitimate traffic is sporadically blocked by over-zealous inclusions.
I suppose one solution would be to abandon the use of Portmaster until it’s a little more matured. However, now armed with the knowledge that Portmaster is the culprit, it may be worth directing this to the Portmaster and SPN by Safing.io QA thread.
Think like I found the issue: I disabled the Adblocker Ultimate Firefox add-on. A bit of googling showed me it is a hoax of being open source too.
Don’t use this guys and gals. Rather go by hblock and/or UBlock Origin.