My boot time is 2+ minutes

AFAIK you should be in luck since linux should support updating thinkpad firmware directly.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/fwupd

so my suggestion would be to run

pamac install gnome-firmware

and update metadata from the menu, then just select the uefi and click upgrade.

Im not very technically skilled so I dont know which menu you mean and where to update the metadata.
I looked at what u linked but I dont understand most of it…

run the command i gave you to install it, then type gnome-firmware in terminal to start the program, then update metadata from the menu, then just select the uefi and click upgrade.

I dont see the update button

the menu, the button with three horizontal stripes…

??

Wdym im confused I clicked refresh metadata what now?

, then just select the uefi and click upgrade.

Aka select LENOVO system firmware, and you should see a button to upgrade. Under “releases available”

Then either you have newest UEFI, or linux firmware update (LVFS) does not support your version of motherboard.

So I cant do anything basically?

you can manually go check lenovo webpages and make sure you have latest UEFI firmware.

Other than that i am out of ideas.

But if I dont have the latest firmware I still cant do anything about it? Then why bother checking?

you can install it in other ways. Like using their boot medium, or windows

even linux has other ways to flash firmwares low-level if you have the firmware file from lenovo. But i highly recommend you don’t look into this method as just one wrong command can leave your motherboard bricked.

1 Like

Found this not sure if it is newer, because Im not sure which version im on.

gnome.firmware did not show that kind of version number, so either you need to look for it at during when you boot the computer, or when you enter UEFI settings at boot.

Alternatively just make a bootable media using that file, and try it. If you have latest it does nothing. If you don’t it will update.

1 Like

You appear to have encrypted your system.

Due to grub and luks2 decryption - boot is taking a long time when you are using full disk encryption.

There is nothing that is going to change that.

It is possible to migrate your system to use systemd boot instead - this will cut down on your loading time - but it requires a little work - and there is tradeoffs.

1 Like

How much faster would it be? How much time would you estimate it would take? And could any future problems arise from this?

let’s be real here, encryption does not make the boot take 2 minutes.

you can expect <5 second improvement by removing encryption. Changing to systemd instead of grub? Maybe 4 at best.

If you have 2 minute boot time, the issue is entirely somewhere else.