My 3d games no longer work

Would it do any good reverting to nouveau drivers?
I cannot play anything, only 2D video. Maybe in a few weeks NVIDIA will fix the driver, but right now it’s unplayable. Downgrading the drivers to the old version, which worked flawlessly, just won’t load X11.
I really would prefer reverting to the old propietary version. Maybe is it something that needs to be configured manually?

Are both xorg-xwayland and plasma-wayland-session installed, and Wayland still won’t start?

Yes, both installed. In the init session screen I can pick X11 or Wayland, but if I choose Wayland, then it tries to load, fails to do so, and goes again to the init session screen.

EDIT This was the case even before the nvidia driver failed to do hw acceleration.

I tried nouvau myself and i can’t recommend it.
It runs, but the performance with cards newer than Kepler is really bad.
But take a look for yourself:
phoronix - The Open-Source NVIDIA/Nouveau vs. NVIDIA Linux Driver At The End Of 2019 - Poor But A Lot Of Hope
phoronix - Initial Benchmarks Of The “NVK” Open-Source NVIDIA Vulkan Driver

1 Like

Yeah, I remember that before I installed proprietary drivers, it was very very slow. It wasn’t pleasant to play. But at least I could play some less demanding games. The faulty driver is just unplayable.
Still, I would prefer to downgrade to the older proprietary version.

Just a idea that you maybe try it already, but did you switched between the differend proton versions in steam?

And what about native linux game?

Like the best RTS Game and native Linux game (free also), beyond all reason… also a good option to see if your card really can’t render 3D stuff.

You can download it as flatpack or appimage from website btw.

Good idea.
Running the steam app, it has asked me to update flatpak. Currently it is updating.

Ok, I could not find the game you suggested (maybe that’s because I am in Spain), but in doing so flatpak got updated and this solved my issue.
Thanks!

After the upgrade, flatpak based steam app was not using properly the new nvidia 535 driver.

$ flatpak update

solved this problem!

Thank you all for your help.

Steam was installed via Flatpak – It sure would have been nice to have this little nugget of knowledge from the onset, don’t you think?

Glad you solved it. Cheers.

The method I used to install Steam on Manjaro;

sudo pacman -Syu && sudo pacman -S steam linux-steam-integration steam-native-runtime wine winetricks wine-mono wine-gecko vulkan-icd-loader vulkan-headers lib32-vulkan-icd-loader vulkan-tools

… and (optional; only if needed);

sudo pacman -S gamemode lib32-gamemode mangohud mangohud-common lib32-mangohud

… plus, installable from the AUR (optional; only if needed):

pamac build vkbasalt lib32-vkbasalt goverlay-bin protonup-qt

Steam is in the repos, does not require the AUR.
Instead in those steps you are installing vkbasalt lib32-vkbasalt goverlay-bin protonup-qt from the AUR.

It’s nice to know, thanks. Still, it would have been helpful to know much earlier. The steps shown (sourced from Steam, surprisingly) did indeed require the AUR, as indicated.

But … it doesnt … you install steam in the first command (using pacman - which only handles the repos), then go on to augment pamac config to allow AUR, then install some other packages from the AUR …

Steam installed. Done.

Everything else, with the exception of the update, which can be combined, is … just random additional stuff.

sudo pacman -Syu steam

In order to know … once must look.
I would normally pint at the arch wiki … but … I mean … its in the repos … theres not much to tell beyond that … You just needed to check for steam in your package manager.

But heres the wiki anyways…

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Steam

As per usual … dont trust outside sources. Still I’d like to see the link.

Fine then; Step 2, of the steps shown, required the AUR. :slightly_smiling_face:

No.

This, if the syntax is correct, purports to enable AUR in pamac conf.

This is an update from the repos.

This installs gamemode, mangohud, and their 32-bit counterparts from the repos.

This is the only part that is actually using the AUR.
And has nothing to do with installing steam.
And uses sudo when it should not.

Good catch. I corrected that (and possibly other portions) when using the same procedure. It was a while ago. I’ll remove that.

Aforementioned post edited for the sake of clarification.

Sorry, I didn’t even remember that I installed it from flatpak. The option to update flatpak didn’t show up until yesterday.

From all the packages you are installing, I wonder if I have installed Steam properly. At least it seems to be working well.
I only have a few issues with downloads (frequent disconnects) and with the gamepad (it’s a generic gamepad, but on generic mode a couple of buttons do not work, and in xbox mode it just do not work)

That’s a good indication in itself. Flatpaks are generally self-contained; dependencies included (part of the reasons for using them), and that they were apparently installed from Arch repo’s, also tends to be a decent indicator.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.