Mute mic keyboard button not working on hp envy x360

Yes it is
@DeLinuxCo

OK, I have an HP Elitebook G1 that has the same mic button, this is how I fixed it. You have to add a custom mapping udev rule.

From Terminal:
sudo nano /etc/udev/hwdb.d/61-hp-mic-mute-hotkey.hwdb

Add the following;
evdev:atkbd:dmi:bvn*:bvr*:bd*:svnHewlett-Packard*:pn*x360*:pvr*
KEYBOARD_KEY_81=f20 #Fn+F8 on x360, map to F20

Save the file by running:
Ctrl + o
Ctrl + x

Then update your hardware with these commands and reboot:
sudo systemd-hwdb update
sudo udevadm trigger

I got this from an Arch wiki when I was setting up my laptop… works for mine. If it doesn’t just remove the file and run update commands to remove.

1 Like

Unfortunetly it didnt do anything :slightly_frowning_face:
So I should delete that file I created and run:

sudo systemd-hwdb update
sudo udevadm trigger

again and reboot?
@DeLinuxCo

Yes remove file and update before moving on.

I found the link, this is where I got my notes: HP EliteBook 840 G1 - ArchWiki

Btw thats the output I get for that update (I still haven’t deleted this file).:

sudo systemd-hwdb update                                         ✔ 

[sudo] password for john: 
/etc/udev/hwdb.d/61-hp-mic-mute-hotkey.hwdb:2: Property expected, ignoring record with no properties.

maybe something is wrong here?
@DeLinuxCo

Can you post the contents of the file as you have it now?

Here

On my notes on the second line after …81=f20, I have no space between #Fn +F8, but on the wiki it does, maybe that makes a difference, on my laptop it does have the space.

Okay I added the space, were gonna see in a second

It also did nothing. And I got the same info about it ignoring it bla bla bla. :confused: What now?

I had changed the EliteBook name to x360 thinking it was just a label… but maybe try it exactly as it is on the wiki? Can’t hurt.

@DeLinuxCo
But now that Im looking at the wiki
Shouldnt there be a space after #?

Yes, my bad, that is what I meant.

That also didnt do anything :confused:

I just realized that you are running Gnome, are you using Wayland, because that may be why it is not working. My System is Cinnamon Desktop which uses X.

I think its turned off

That’s as far as I can go… the issue is surely a key binding and F8 is F20…Web search time.

Solution here :smiley: :smiley: How to map fn+F8 to F20 key so that mic muting works (hp envy x360)? - #30 by pobrn

1 Like

Nice! Persistance! Be sure to make notes and keep them for future reference… Also, if you want to reverse the Fn keys operation, it’s in the BIOS/Firnware settings.
:+1:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.