Multiple displays with alternative window manager

I’m trying out the tiling window manager LeftWM in parallel with Xfce on my laptop. Most things work well except that my LeftWM setup doesn’t detect any external monitors (only the laptop screen is alive). My guess is that I need to add some configuration to my display manager or add some xrandr command to some launch script. Can anyone point me in the right direction? What is the “Manjaro way” to solve this?

Is an AUR package and is not supported by Manjaro directly … hence there is no

Is always better to follow the project documentation as it provides all the required details. If not, opening an issue there is a click away.

I was able to make multiple monitors work with the command autorandr (Arch Linux - autorandr 1.12.1-1 (any)). Though, it is kind of a hack. Just run autorandr --save docked when everything works as intended (for me this is with Xfce up and running and all monitors connected). Then run autorandr --load docked from some session init script or from some shell within your alternative window manager.

And has nothing to do with how you solved the issue …

Well, LightDM is what is launching the window manager. The multiple monitor issue is probably similar for all alternative sessions/window managers. A non-hack solution would probably be to put this command/config (or equivalent) somewhere within the LightDM config or session startup. Manjaro clearly supports alternative window managers (who cares if they are official or not). This is just a generic question about how to make multiple monitors work.

Why do you even bother answering if you’re not interested in helping? A rhetorical question, I don’t need an answer.

Anyway, I did provide a solution and I hope it will help someone. :person_shrugging:

In principle it should be done via leftwm.desktop and the DM should pick it up without issues, by default, or in the .xinitrc file in the user home directory and that would need a bit of editing … but for me was strange you mentioned it was not working for you, since

XFCE stores the monitors information in ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/displays.xml but i’ll be honest, not sure how that is set if the session is not XFCE
On Gnome sometimes there is the ~/.config/monitors.xml that in some cases, for GDM, needs to be copied in /var/lib/gdm/.config/monitors.xml

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.