Multiple boot errors that leave my system unbootable

So here is the situation :

I run Manjaro with Regolith-desktop or Gnome usually just fine
I did a big full distro upgrade before all this happened.
Linux manjaro 6.1.19-1-MANJARO #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Mon Mar 13 12:59:35 UTC 2023 x86_64 GNU/Linux

My partition is encrypted, I have an XFS filesystem, my rEFInd config seems to be just fine, I can see my systems, I can selected the kernel I want to boot from, I can type my password to decrypt the disk, then I see the usual boot start until I see loads of Failed to mount Mount unit errors
log of journalctl -b-1 -p5 --no-pager → https://termbin.com/w8pm

And then I land in recovery console, where I can type my password but can’t boot to default system

So I chroot into my encrypted system with this [Fix] Can’t login - black screen & chroot guide and I follow the instructions to upgrade my system and do the usual check to see if my kernels are fines

• sudo mkinitcpio -P finish just fine, no errors
  • refind_install goes just great and find my kernels as usual, no errors
  • sudo pacman-mirrors -f5 && sudo pacman -Syyu finish just fine, there is nothing to do

So I exit chroot and I reboot only to be at the same spot : https://termbin.com/w8pm

I’v been digging for a few days and I’m lost, any advice on reading this https://termbin.com/w8pm and helping me get back to my system would be very much appreciated :slight_smile:

I/O error on your hdd might bee the issue, so either your HDD has failed, or maybe a kernel or firmware update made those errors. The fact that live usb&chroot works would argue for your install being broken, not the hardware.

From chroot maybe remove linux 6.1 and install a previous version to rule out bug with latest 6.1 kernel.

So, I was writing the OP from my usb live boot just after finishing the steps described and finding no concrete reasons for this mess, and then I rebooted, past the rEFInd screen, encrypted boot password and Tadaaaaa : my system just booted, just fine.

The only thing I did before these two situation was to reinstall an old 5.19 kernel just to have a 5x kernel at hand, the system is now running on 6.2 and is just fine…

I’m speechless but happy to be back !

edit: I just wish I could understand exactly what went wrong :confused:

1 Like

As @varikonniemi mentioned, I/O errors makes me think hardware. So I’d recommend Booting into a live environment and running smart checks on all of 'em.

sudo smartctl --all /dev/<device>

Where <device is the /dev/* path of our hard drive, in this case /dev/sdc but it might be different in a live environment than your normal installation. Check with:

fdisk -l

or

lsblk

Makes me again think it’s some kind of hardware or hardware-re;lated problem…I’d still do the SMART tests if I were you.

Thanks for your reply ! I will go back to chroot and do this now !
don’t want this system to drop me without getting my stuff out first !

You don’t have to do it from chroot. You can just do it from a live environment. In fact, I think you’d need to. Because some, if not all of the SMART test require your drive to be offline, so unmounted.

More here:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/S.M.A.R.T.#smartctl

smart tests can be done on mounted disks, even disks that are part of RAID. Only the disk that has the running root system cannot for some reason be checked.

My experience says differently, but cool!

Alright just did the test, dev/sdc is an old 500GB disk that has 2 partitions, one with Windows, another with data from my brother, that disk valuable data could probably moved elsewhere

But smartctl short test does not return any error, doing a long test now and we’ll see how it goes, but the main point here is that /dev/sdc is not related in any way to the system disk hosting the manjaro setup.

1 Like

Seems like switching to 6.2 kernel might have done the trick for you? If it is so, and 6.1 won’t work for you even after reinstall, it’s pretty bad as it is LTS and will be around for a long time while 6.2 will be removed in a year or so.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.