Multiple applications failing after update on libicuuc.so.73 dependency

After a pacman -Syu yesterday I have multiple applications failing on start, including the lightdm greeter. I was only seeing a blank screen after reboot.

Turns out multiple applications stopped working because they are still depending on core/icu 73 while the update bumped it to v74.

Could it be that packages in “extra” have not yet been recompiled?

lightdm-gtk-greeter
lightdm-gtk-greeter: error while loading shared libraries: libicuuc.so.73: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

pacman -F $(which lightdm-gtk-greeter)
/usr/bin/lightdm-gtk-greeter is owned by extra/lightdm-gtk-greeter 1:2.0.8-3

gvim
gvim: error while loading shared libraries: libicuuc.so.73: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

pacman -F $(which gvim)
/usr/bin/gvim is owned by extra/gvim 9.0.1506-1

pacman -Q | grep icu
icu 74.2-1
lib32-icu 74.2-1

I already tried to fix the situation but at least the following attempts did not yet help:

• pacman-mirrors --fasttrack 5 && pacman -Syyu
  • pacman -Qqn | pacman --overwrite=* -S -

Either you are in a partial-upgrade state or those packages are from a third party.
If they are packages you built, such as from the AUR, then they should be rebuilt following system library updates.

Try resetting mirrors

sudo pacman-mirrors -c all && sudo pacman -Syu

(note, ex, gvim is 9.0.2167-1 on Stable branch. See packages.manjaro.org )

Thank you for your support!

I ran your command, “-Syu” claimed there was nothing to update. However,this seems weird and I do not quite know what to make of it. gvim seems to be owned by extra/gvim 9.0.1506-1 but I have the most recent version installed that you mentioned (even after the full reinstall of all packages that I did):

pacman -Q gvim
gvim 9.0.2167-1

pacman -F $(which gvim)
/usr/bin/gvim is owned by extra/gvim 9.0.1506-1

gvim
gvim: error while loading shared libraries: libicuuc.so.73: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

-F is the db.
It must be updated separately

sudo pacman -Fyx 'bin/gvim'

But that has nothing to do with what is installed.

These do;
Query package ownership of a file

pacman -Qo /usr/bin/gvim

List files owned/provided by a package

pacman -Ql gvim

Search installed packages

pacman -Qs gvim

It seems you might have some AUR package which is not updated.

We will see when they query installed packages instead of the package database. :wink:
(which of course returns the repo packages, and the outdated versions if the db was outdated)

I always misunderstood what -F does thank you for the correction!

When I use “-Qo” it seems like I do indeed have the most recent version of gvim - and it seems to not work with libuuc.so.74 unfortunately (same for the lightdm greeter which is more of a problem right now):

$ gvim
$ pacman -Qo $(which gvim)
/usr/bin/gvim is owned by gvim 9.0.2167-1
$ lightdm-gtk-greeter
lightdm-gtk-greeter: error while loading shared libraries: libicuuc.so.73: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
$ pacman -Qo $(which lightdm-gtk-greeter)
/usr/bin/lightdm-gtk-greeter is owned by lightdm-gtk-greeter 1:2.0.8-3

Hmm, could gtk3 be the problem? These are the upward dependencies from gvim to icu that I found and their versions on my system:

• libxml2 2.12.3-1
  • at-spi2-core 2.50.0-1
  • gtk3 1:3.24.39-1

There is a newer version 1:3.24.39-2 for gtk3 that was published on 2023-12-26. However I am not getting it from my mirrors.

Problem solved! I got the final hint from a post in the Arch forums - lddtree showed me that I had a dependency to an older version of libxml2 that was lying around in a “Cisco Secure Connect” folder which was included in my library path.

Thanks for your support - maybe this helps someone else with a similar problem…

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.