Mouse scrolling causes random jumps

Hi there,

I’ve been dealing with an incredibly annoying issue where, when scrolling down with my mouse’s wheel, the scroll will occasionally jump in the opposite direction. I tested the inputs from the mouse using xev to ensure it wasn’t a hardware issue causing the wrong direction to be sent which it was not. I found some other posts on the topic that recommended using imwheel but this did not fix the issue for me. Some other users recommended switching from libinput to evdev but I had a hard time disabling mouse acceleration on evdev so I didn’t test it long enough to see if the issue occurs with it. Does anyone have an idea what may be causing this issue? I have had it occur in both Qt and GTK applications.

Here are my specs:
Operating System: Manjaro Linux
KDE Plasma Version: 5.19.4
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.73.0
Qt Version: 5.15.0
Kernel Version: 5.8.3-2-MANJARO
OS Type: 64-bit
Processors: 8 × Intel® Core™ i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz
Memory: 15.6 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: GeForce GTX 1080 Ti/PCIe/SSE2

Also I’m using a Logitech G403 with libinput 1.16.1.

Thanks.

The same for me, after upgrade, 5.4.64-1-MANJARO Gnome.

I recently came across a video that recommended using a straw to blow air through the scroll wheel area of my mouse (Logitech G403). After doing that, I feel like it may have fixed the issue but I’m giving it some more time to test. The thing that confuses me is that if it was a hardware issue why was nothing appearing out of the ordinary when testing it with xev… Very strange situation.

As the other responders have said, I would suspect dust contamination (if an optical wheel indexer) or worn/oxidized contacts if a mechanical one.

The indexer packed up on my (now ancient) MS Mobile 3000 some time back … I did get it working for a bit longer by cleaning out the indexer but it barely registers at all now … just the odd intermittent (and unwanted) scrolling, mostly only downwards & the click doesn’t work reliably either.

Other mice still work fine in that respect (i.e. no “random jumping” when using the wheel) so test with another mouse if you can…