Mounting and getting permission over windows drives

HI I installed Manjaro with KDE plasma today to try out how it is working on my main pc, but I have some things in windows what I need so I dual booted it into a seperate SSD so now I have 3 Drives:

Linux: (sdb)
Windows: (nvme0n1) and my files on nvme0m1p3
HDD (sda1)

So I modified the /etc/fstab with ntfs-3g to
/dev/sda1 /run/media/bence/2terra ntfs-3g defaults,uid=1000,gid=1000,utf8,umask=0022,rw 0 0
and I even tried it with my nvme drive but…

I have my nvme “mounted” without the modify and by the “ls -l” I have all the permissions “drwrwrwx” but on my HDD I have “drwxr-xr-x” and If I understanded it correctly it suppose to mean I have read and write perrmission on my nvme drive ( I don’t have neither in terminal or dolphin ) and I only have read permissions on my HDD what is correct I don’t have even after I modified the fstab

My main reason to mount and have RWX permission to gave access to my games installed on these drive and to access it via Steam.

My question is to how to get RWX permission on these drives without damaging the “windows part of it” ?

It depends on who the owner is. If you have drwxr-xr-x permissions on a folder that is owned by you, then you do have write permission.

Do however bear in mind that these permissions are virtual. They only exist while the filesystem is mounted, because NTFS does not support POSIX file ownership and permissions, and so the kernel has to emulate them at mount time.

More information about how permissions work can be found in the tutorial below. :arrow_down:

In addition to the above, you must disable fast boot ­— or hybrid boot, or whatever Windows calls it — in Windows, because it does not properly shut down the filesystems and leaves them in an open state. This in turn causes the kernel to regard them as damaged and it will thus mount them read-only so as to prevent further corruption.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.