Mkinitcpio.conf.pacnew crypto_keyfile.bin left out?

Continuing the discussion from Mkinitcpio.conf.pacnew:

** crypto_keyfile.bin left out?

I am looking into the mkinitcpio.conf and wondered why in recent new installs I couldnt boot later installed kernels and only the originally installed 6.9 worked. It might be due to the pacnew. I am using an encrypted installation on ext4 and MBR (2012 laptop) and always overwrote with the pacnew in my previous 2 installs (this is my third new install of 24.0). This time I want 6.6 and 6.1 to be able to boot from as well.

This line seemy wrong for my encrypted installation: Should dismiss the line change and only apply the other lines?

19c19
< FILES=()
---
> FILES=(/crypto_keyfile.bin)
55c55

It seems wrong to me to leave crypto_keyfile.bin out for the boot? ( FILES=() would be the new line).

These diffs seem ok:

< HOOKS=(base udev autodetect microcode modconf kms keyboard keymap consolefont block filesystems fsck)
---
> HOOKS=(base udev autodetect kms modconf block keyboard keymap consolefont plymouth encrypt openswap resume filesystems fsck)
58,61c58,59
< # Use this to compress the initramfs image. By default, zstd compression
< # is used for Linux ≥ 5.9 and gzip compression is used for Linux < 5.9.
< # Use 'cat' to create an uncompressed image.
< #COMPRESSION="zstd"
---
> # Use this to compress the initramfs image. By default, gzip compression
> # is used. Use 'cat' to create an uncompressed image.
67a66
> #COMPRESSION="zstd"
74,81c73,76
< # Decompress loadable kernel modules and their firmware during initramfs
< # creation. Switch (yes/no).
< # Enable to allow further decreasing image size when using high compression
< # (e.g. xz -9e or zstd --long --ultra -22) at the expense of increased RAM usage
< # at early boot.
< # Note that any compressed files will be placed in the uncompressed early CPIO
< # to avoid double compression.
< #MODULES_DECOMPRESS="no"
---
> # Decompress kernel modules during initramfs creation.
> # Enable to speedup boot process, disable to save RAM
> # during early userspace. Switch (yes/no).
> #MODULES_DECOMPRESS="yes"

However, why is “resume” missing?

You should not apply anything that doesn’t reflect your current setup.
The .pacnew files just represent the new default values - they say nothing about your current configuration or that something needs to change,
but it could be that syntax has changed (as has happened for /etc/mkinitcpio.conf) or new options are available or old options not supported anymore.

Better not touch your current file at all.

good example - because “resume” is not a default option, but one that you chose to set

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.