Libre Office which installed by default with Manjaro is missing its spell checker. Does anyone know how to add it? Looked in AUR but found nothing, Libre Office site did not offer much and a general search did suggest this is not uncommon but could not find any Arch specific command lines to add it to Libre.
In Libreoffice Writer, go to the Spelling menu option (I believe it is under the Tools menu), and at the bottom, you’ll find an option to add additional dictionaries. As mentioned previously, you’ll need at least one dictionary to have the spell checker work properly. My guess is that being available in many languages, the folks developing the installer figured it would be easier to leave it up to the user to select his/her desired language. I found this a bit tricky to troubleshoot too, but adding the dictionary worked for me.
Could be that your language’s dictionary is not supported properly, ie installed automatically.
Look at the bottom of your LibreOffice screen, is your preferred language showing? Is it not US or UK? If not, go to the Package Manager search for ‘hunspell’ you may see a long list of dictionaries for different languages but install the one for you.
After installing your dictionary a restart of LibreOffice should fix your problem.
I recently installed Manjaro that was listed in the last Release Announcement on a VM and it did not install LO by default. The only package with the string “office” that was installed by default was onlyoffice-desktopeditors (grep -i office /desktopfs-pkgs.txt). It might have been the default, or the install asked (which it did when I originally installed some time ago), in the past. If this is a new install, make sure you have the latest ISO.
I found this troublesome to get working too, it seems the dictionary is available, but it’s not correct unless it shows a green tick.
The method I used was Tools > Spelling > Options > 'get more ditionaries online' & installed the English one.
When correctly configured it will show a Green Tick in the drop down in Tools > Options > Langs (default) and Tools > Spelling
Whilst I can’t remember whether I had to do anything special on my Manjaro install, I seem to remember getting this working on a different arch-based distro a short while back by following the instructions on the Arch Wiki - if you’ve not investigated this, it’s worth working your way through the instructions there for getting hunspell installed and the dictionary for your particular language activated - LibreOffice - ArchWiki