Missing libcrypto.so and libssl.so

Hi all,

I’m trying to run a game installed through the itch app, and get the following error message:

Had error: Exit code 0x7f (127) for (runner)
Standard error ===========
/path/to/game: error while loading shared libraries: libcrypto.so.1.0.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
====================
Standard output: empty

I have openSSL installed (I believe wine installed it automatically), and as far as I can tell libcrypto (and libssl, which according to ldd is needed and missing as well) are supposed to be included with openSSL. However I can’t find them in /lib/ or /local/lib/, or in the output of pacman -Q.

I’ve tried reinstalling openSSL with manjaro’s GUI installer, and just running pacman -S openSSL (which I’m hoping didn’t make things worse). After that my searching has mostly turned up solutions for how to link the files to their intended location after I’ve found them, but I can’t find them so that doesn’t help. Further searching got me straight into the deep end, reading code and text I could not understand.

Uh, this is a linux-native build of the game. (the game is minit). Other games run fine. I tried to run the game directly without launching the itch app but it said I couldn’t run the executable for security reasons? I think that’s all the info I have.

Thank you for reading, and please help!

This is provided by the older openssl-1.0 (and its 32bit equivalent lib32-openssl-1.0)
[regular openssl provides libcrypto.so.1.1]

I installed openssl-1.0 and it resolved 0 of the above problems.

I installed 1.0 and nothing has been fixed.

Did you also install lib32-openssl-1.0?

2 Likes

Did just now, still fixed nothing.
I tried running again and got a much longer error message, or maybe it was this long before and I didn’t notice somehow.

Exit code 0x7f (127) for (runner)
Had error: Exit code 0x7f (127) for (runner)
→ Standard error ================
/home/kitt/.config/itch/apps/minit/minit/runner: error while loading shared libraries: libcrypto.so.1.0.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
=================================
→ Standard output: empty
Relaying launch failure.
rm -rf /home/kitt/.config/itch/apps/minit/.itch/temp
Caught butler error:
butler version: v15.20.0, built on Aug 28 2020 @ 06:35:05, ref b3c579dc115e3326e9a283a10f9b6712e017a3b7
Golang stack:\nExit code 0x7f (127) for (runner)\ngithub.com/itchio/butler/endpoints/launch/launchers/native.(*Launcher).Do.func1\n\t/builds/itchio/butler/endpoints/launch/launchers/native/native.go:259\ngithub.com/itchio/butler/endpoints/launch/launchers/native.(*Launcher).Do\n\t/builds/itchio/butler/endpoints/launch/launchers/native/native.go:264\ngithub.com/itchio/butler/endpoints/launch.Launch.func1\n\t/builds/itchio/butler/endpoints/launch/launch.go:273\ngithub.com/itchio/butler/endpoints/launch.withInstallFolderLock\n\t/builds/itchio/butler/endpoints/launch/with_install_folder_lock.go:80\ngithub.com/itchio/butler/endpoints/launch.Launch\n\t/builds/itchio/butler/endpoints/launch/launch.go:35\ngithub.com/itchio/butler/butlerd/messages.(*LaunchType).Register.func1\n\t/builds/itchio/butler/butlerd/messages/messages.go:2866\ngithub.com/itchio/butler/butlerd.(*Router).HandleRequest.func2\n\t/builds/itchio/butler/butlerd/router.go:306\ngithub.com/itchio/butler/butlerd.(*Router).HandleRequest\n\t/builds/itchio/butler/butlerd/router.go:315\ngithub.com/itchio/butler/butlerd.(*gatedHandler).HandleRequest\n\t/builds/itchio/butler/butlerd/butlerd.go:159\ngithub.com/itchio/butler/butlerd/jsonrpc2.(*connImpl).handleIncomingMessage.func1\n\t/builds/itchio/butler/butlerd/jsonrpc2/jsonrpc2.go:250\nruntime.goexit\n\t/usr/local/go/src/runtime/asm_amd64.s:1373
JavaScript stack: Error: Exit code 0x7f (127) for (runner)\n    at Conversation.handleMessage (/home/kitt/.itch/app-25.4.1/resources/app/dist/main/main.bundle.js:30126:28)\n    at Transform.<anonymous> (/home/kitt/.itch/app-25.4.1/resources/app/dist/main/main.bundle.js:30022:22)\n    at Transform.emit (events.js:310:20)\n    at addChunk (/home/kitt/.itch/app-25.4.1/resources/app/dist/main/main.bundle.js:27816:12)\n    at readableAddChunk (/home/kitt/.itch/app-25.4.1/resources/app/dist/main/main.bundle.js:27798:11)\n    at Transform.module.exports.Readable.push (/home/kitt/.itch/app-25.4.1/resources/app/dist/main/main.bundle.js:27759:10)\n    at Transform.module.exports.Transform.push (/home/kitt/.itch/app-25.4.1/resources/app/dist/main/main.bundle.js:29653:32)\n    at push (/home/kitt/.itch/app-25.4.1/resources/app/dist/main/main.bundle.js:13844:10)\n    at Transform.transform [as _transform] (/home/kitt/.itch/app-25.4.1/resources/app/dist/main/main.bundle.js:13815:7)\n    at Transform.module.exports.Transform._read (/home/kitt/.itch/app-25.4.1/resources/app/dist/main/main.bundle.js:29691:10)
Task launch threw: Error: Exit code 0x7f (127) for (runner)\n    at Conversation.handleMessage (/home/kitt/.itch/app-25.4.1/resources/app/dist/main/main.bundle.js:30126:28)\n    at Transform.<anonymous> (/home/kitt/.itch/app-25.4.1/resources/app/dist/main/main.bundle.js:30022:22)\n    at Transform.emit (events.js:310:20)\n    at addChunk (/home/kitt/.itch/app-25.4.1/resources/app/dist/main/main.bundle.js:27816:12)\n    at readableAddChunk (/home/kitt/.itch/app-25.4.1/resources/app/dist/main/main.bundle.js:27798:11)\n    at Transform.module.exports.Readable.push (/home/kitt/.itch/app-25.4.1/resources/app/dist/main/main.bundle.js:27759:10)\n    at Transform.module.exports.Transform.push (/home/kitt/.itch/app-25.4.1/resources/app/dist/main/main.bundle.js:29653:32)\n    at push (/home/kitt/.itch/app-25.4.1/resources/app/dist/main/main.bundle.js:13844:10)\n    at Transform.transform [as _transform] (/home/kitt/.itch/app-25.4.1/resources/app/dist/main/main.bundle.js:13815:7)\n    at Transform.module.exports.Transform._read (/home/kitt/.itch/app-25.4.1/resources/app/dist/main/main.bundle.js:29691:10)

At this point it simply looks like the software you are trying to use is broken somehow.
If it were my application or something I cared about I would look deeper … why cant it find libraries that are installed? Does it have something to do with being run from HOME and the libs are system/root? Does the game-dev understand linux? … etc etc.

But I can’t find the libraries either (they should appear in ‘pacman -Q’ right?), so I’m not convinced the game is at fault here, and while I haven’t yet run into another game with this problem that doesn’t mean I won’t later.
Actually, do you know how I could find another program on my computer with the same dependency? I could see if that one works or also breaks.

To search all packages (even not installed) for a file you can use the database:

sudo pacman -Fyx libcrypto.so.1

To search installed packages:

pacman -Qs libcrypto

To show files supplied by a package:

pacman -Ql openssl

and so on … but I think you only need those

My latest restart seems to have finally fixed the issue, but now the game won’t run and the error message is empty! So we’ll see what the itch team can do for me. Thanks for your help.