Missing Files from Folder

Files present in my downloads folder suddenly went missing, but the folder itself is visible. The files are not deleted, but seems to be hidden. One of the subfolders is my torrent folder and I am able to access it with qBittorrent, but not through file manager.

Welcome to the forum! :vulcan_salute:

Something like that cannot and will not happen suddenly. It must be the result of something you did, but by lack of a crystal ball, you’re going to have to be a little more elaborate. :grin:

In UNIX, files are only hidden if their name starts with a period (.). You can have Dolphin reveal hidden files by hitting Ctrl+H.

One possible explanation could be that you’ve selected a viewing filter by partly typing in a search pattern that doesn’t match any files in that directory. Clearing the search should then show everything that’s there again.

Another possible explanation could be that your cache has gotten corrupted. Try closing Dolphin, and then from within a terminal window, execute the following command… :arrow_down:

rm -f .cache/*.kcache ./cache/thumbnails/*

Then, restart Dolphin and see if the problem persists.

Lastly, as I stated already, in UNIX, files whose name starts with a period become hidden, and so it is also possible that you — deliberately or accidentally — renamed some things and had their name start with a period.

1 Like

Hi, thanks for the quick response. Problem has been resolved after updating the system.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.