Missing dependency for HP device manager

Hey there just wanted to inform you guys that HP Device Manager application is missing the dependency python-pyqt5 which is needed to make it run and should be installed with it.

Once it is installed it will work.

Without python-pyqt5 installed

[corey@corey-pi4 ~]$ hp-toolbox

HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.21.2)
HP Device Manager ver. 15.0

Copyright (c) 2001-18 HP Development Company, LP
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.

error: No module named 'PyQt5'

After I installed python-pyqt5 (working)

[corey@corey-pi4 ~]$ hp-toolbox

HP Device Manager ver. 15.0

warning: Reportlab not installed. Fax coverpages disabled.
warning: Please install version 2.0+ of Reportlab for coverpage support.
warning: manjaro-arm distro is not found in AUTH_TYPES
\
System Tray Status Service ver. 2.0

HPLIP upgrade latest version ver. 1.0

error: HPLIP upgrade is disabled by Archlinux for security reasons, see https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/38083 - if you like to upgrade HPLIP, use the Archlinux software package manager pacman.

Done.

Always happy to report any issues to help make sure things are in working order :smiley:

I feel like we have been over something similar.

python-pyqt5 is mentioned as an optional dependency in the PKGBUILD, for “GUI and HP toolbox” functionality.

So if you need to use those functions of the hplip package, you need to install that optional dependency.

But the point of hp-device-manager specifically is to use the gui which doesn’t work without the dependency, by not including python-pyqt5 it break the user experience and wonder why it won’t open thus opening more issue reports for a simple thing while getting the wrong idea thinking Linux is a bad or unpolished experience. In my option this should defiantly be a necessary dependency.

If you weren’t using the HP device manager gui than yeah sure it isn’t needed but for this it is.

We get hplip from Arch Linux ARM, which builds it directly from the PKGBUILD provided by Arch Linux.

So any request to change the package, needs to be directed at the Arch Linux package maintainer.

Alrighty I since the package comes directly from them I will head over there and leave a link here so you can follow what’s going on. :slight_smile:

Also to add a user shouldn’t need to install something like this manually and should be automatic, it’s not broken or anything just missing a needed dependency and I want to help polish the Manjaro/Linux experience anywhere I can but I can understand that this isn’t necessarily a issue of Manjaro but the package itself which is maintained on Arch arm.

Forum post on Arch Arm :+1:
https://archlinuxarm.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=15361

Mentioning Manjaro ARM will probably not get you any answers and the post probably will be closed soon.

They don’t support Manjaro. Only Arch.

Ah crap ok I’ll remove that part than. Pull a good old sneaky on them :wink:

My guess on their answer is: “We get the package from Arch x64, so request it on their end”. :wink:

ok done :wink: :ok_hand: