Missing debug info in `glibc` package

Hi team! How are you?

I see the current version (March 2024) of glibc package is glibc-2.39-1.1, which has a minor update and it’s different that the current version in debuginfod \dot archlinux \dot org which is glibc-2.39-1, without the minor.

Do you if it’s possible to update that info in debuginfod, or make a downgrade without breaking the whole system of glibc?

Another question, in the future, is possible to add the debug information of this package?

Nice day!

I am running into this issue at the moment as well. ~Going to try a downgrade from 1.1 to 1.~ I am not going to try that after all since posts on this forum have indicated that it is especially unsupported. So I guess valgrind is just impossible, until arch upgrades to 1.1? This is a pretty tedious state of affairs, as others have mentioned over the years.

The easiest way to fix this would be for Manjaro to provide a glibc-debuginfo package like every distro used to before debuginfod servers. Debugging tools will look for locally installed debug symbols before trying debuginfod.

Either that or provide their own debuginfod server. Manjaro currently takes the libelf package straight from Arch Linux and that package sets DEBUGINFOD_URLS=https://debuginfod.archlinux.org.

In the meantime I suppose you could try rebuilding the Manjaro glibc package with debug symbols. I have not tried this myself - Debugging/Getting traces - ArchWiki

Well, Arch never did. :stuck_out_tongue:

That will never happen. Major.minor release numbers (pkgrel) are used only by Manjaro, when they patch something minor or whatever.

Wow, I didn’t know that and I didn’t know that this only changed quite recently. So I guess before 2022 anyone who required debug symbols on Arch was rebuilding packages. :joy:

Manjaro glibc is never going to match Arch glibc any more as long as;

# Manjaro: We keep the EAC way to still support older games