Missing Brightness Control (KDE)

Hi guys, I’m new here and searched for several hours but couldn’t find a solution to my problem.

Brightness control settings (slider and dim display option) are missing from my power settings! Show Energy Information window (Energy Consumption Statistics) is also blank with no information. This happened after some updates I guess. I also switched between different kernels, reinstalled powerdevil, but they didn’t help. Before this I could easily change my desktop’s monitor brightness but now I can’t.

Any ideas?

P.S: I just noticed this:
org.kde.powerdevil.backlighthelper.brightness failed

Where you by chance using it on an external monitor?

Arch Linux lately removed ddcutil from PowerDevil’s dependencies, so they removed the support for that.

It should still work on internal laptop displays though. (does on mine)

1 Like

Thanks for your reply. Yes it is a desktop with external monitor. I used to tweak the brightness from the battery icon, but now it is not working and the brightness slider/dim display is missing. I’m looking for a solution for 4 hours now.

If that’s the case (removing ddcutil), can we manually install or trigger it? I assume this error has to do with that:
org_kde_powerdevil[1375]: org.kde.powerdevil: org.kde.powerdevil.backlighthelper.brightness failed

As they removed a specific build option to enable it, you would have to rebuild powerdevil with the dependency and build option re-added.

Any guides about how to do that?

See this Arch Wiki article on makepkg after you have made the changes you want in the PKGBUILD.

1 Like

Thanks will give it a try. Hope my brightness thing works again. :slight_smile: