Minimal installation on PC

That will be difficult - although not impossible - as Calamares is a GUI installer and the final system is extracted from running system.

Isnā€™t a customized ISO profile easy and the way to go?

You are right - but calamares is gui app and OP want as CLI environment as the result.

You need a windowmanager to run calamares which in turn requires X and drivers and ā€¦

You can create a customized Calamares - a netinstaller - which can install a given set of packages.

Much like EndeavourOS has done.

Or you could move the Xorg part to the Live-Packages section - which would provide a GUI only in the live session - the install phase could then be boiled down to what ever packagtes and services desired.

1 Like

I correct myself.

I couldnā€™t resist the urge to try this :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I actually did it - created a gui installer for cli only system - and it was easier than anticipated - I took only 10 minutes to modify the iso-profile and another 10 to build it - piece of :cupcake: IMO.

For those who like adventures (very rough slapped together with no regards to the visual) if you download and test - remember it is very simple - more like Proof Of Concept than for actual use

2 Likes

Hi linux-aarhus, great job :+1:
your work will not go in vain - Iā€™ll surly try this iso
but ā€¦ first of all.
Iā€™ve build architect iso just like you advised and then installed to test on vm.
All worked fine for me - thank you, thank all others too.
I think this thread can be closed.

Summary:
Yes, one can build custom minimal iso with architect profile and advises like in earlier mentioned YT video.
ā€œFor those who like adventuresā€ as bonus your findings with calamares :slight_smile:

Just mark the comment which is the closest to answer your question - the topic will close 3 days after last comment.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.