Minecraft used to run at high FPS, after some updates it was running at a very low framerates

Minecraft 1.8.9 (Using utility mods) used to run at around 150-200 fps, Minecraft 1.17 (also using utility mods) runs at around 110-150 fps and around 60-80 fps with shaders. After a couple of system updates and some packages (mostly tlp, powertop and optimus-manager, the first two i promptly uninstalled, to try and fix the issue) , both versions and 1.18 were running at around 20-50 fps with slightly worse settings (lowered the render distance, changed from fancy to fast), but with no luck.

moderated - please refrain from using images - they are useless for search/indexing

1.18 with all my mods (listed in the logs)
logs (same session as image): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tk3X2HhKFij1Ibrfk1Xe0gIcXOGkvVU7/view?usp=sharing

1.18 with needed mods (fabric api, sodium, iris)
logs https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KaApBU3M27S533j7Jstp4OWjgzwpblmw/view?usp=sharing

1.8 with all mods
logs https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BzyEAu2joyb220zUcTPUkNalNjZE9CGt/view?usp=sharing

1.8 with needed mods (optifine, patcher)
logs https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KUkDMFWBLAGZx8Ho1Cka3tPufQS3oZYx/view?usp=sharing

    ~  inxi -SPARM -GCDN -v1 -xGCRS                                                                              ✔ 
  Host: iwant2tryhard-manjaro Kernel: 5.15.7-1-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64
    compiler: gcc v: 11.1.0 Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.23.4 Distro: Manjaro Linux
    base: Arch Linux
  Type: Laptop System: ASUSTeK product: ASUS TUF Gaming F15 FX506LH_FX506LH
    v: 1.0 serial: <superuser required>
  Mobo: ASUSTeK model: FX506LH v: 1.0 serial: <superuser required>
    UEFI: American Megatrends v: FX506LH.309 date: 02/02/2021
  Info: quad core model: Intel Core i5-10300H bits: 64 type: MT MCP
    arch: Comet Lake rev: 2 cache: L1: 256 KiB L2: 1024 KiB L3: 8 MiB
  Speed (MHz): avg: 4083 high: 4100 min/max: 800/4500 cores: 1: 4073
    2: 4056 3: 4072 4: 4065 5: 4100 6: 4100 7: 4100 8: 4100 bogomips: 40009
  Flags: avx avx2 ht lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx
  Device-1: Intel CometLake-H GT2 [UHD Graphics] vendor: ASUSTeK driver: i915
    v: kernel bus-ID: 00:02.0
  Device-2: NVIDIA TU117M vendor: ASUSTeK driver: nvidia v: 495.44
    bus-ID: 01:00.0
  Device-3: Sonix USB2.0 HD UVC WebCam type: USB driver: uvcvideo
    bus-ID: 1-7:5
  Display: x11 server: X.Org driver: loaded: modesetting
    unloaded: nvidia resolution: 1920x1080~144Hz
  OpenGL: renderer: Mesa Intel UHD Graphics (CML GT2) v: 4.6 Mesa 21.2.5
    direct render: Yes
  Device-1: Intel Comet Lake PCH cAVS vendor: ASUSTeK driver: snd_hda_intel
    v: kernel bus-ID: 00:1f.3
  Device-2: NVIDIA vendor: ASUSTeK driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel
    bus-ID: 01:00.1
  Device-3: JMTek LLC. USB PnP Audio Device type: USB
    driver: hid-generic,snd-usb-audio,usbhid bus-ID: 1-2:3
  Sound Server-1: ALSA v: k5.15.7-1-MANJARO running: yes
  Sound Server-2: sndio v: N/A running: no
  Sound Server-3: JACK v: 1.9.19 running: no
  Sound Server-4: PulseAudio v: 15.0 running: yes
  Sound Server-5: PipeWire v: 0.3.40 running: yes
  Device-1: MEDIATEK vendor: AzureWave driver: mt7921e v: kernel port: N/A
    bus-ID: 03:00.0
  Device-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet
    vendor: ASUSTeK driver: r8169 v: kernel port: 3000 bus-ID: 04:00.0
  Message: No RAID data found.
  Local Storage: total: 476.94 GiB used: 127.3 GiB (26.7%)
  ID-1: /dev/nvme0n1 vendor: Micron model: 2210 MTFDHBA512QFD
    size: 476.94 GiB temp: 37.9 C
  ID-1: / size: 205.6 GiB used: 123.77 GiB (60.2%) fs: ext4
    dev: /dev/nvme0n1p6
  ID-2: /boot/efi size: 511 MiB used: 292 KiB (0.1%) fs: vfat
    dev: /dev/nvme0n1p4
  ID-3: swap-1 size: 8 GiB used: 3.53 GiB (44.1%) fs: swap
    dev: /dev/nvme0n1p5
  Processes: 313 Uptime: 4h 6m Memory: 7.6 GiB used: 6.19 GiB (81.4%)
  Init: systemd Compilers: gcc: 11.1.0 Packages: 1741 Shell: Zsh v: 5.8
  inxi: 3.3.11
| NVIDIA-SMI 495.44       Driver Version: 495.44       CUDA Version: 11.5     |
| GPU  Name        Persistence-M| Bus-Id        Disp.A | Volatile Uncorr. ECC |
| Fan  Temp  Perf  Pwr:Usage/Cap|         Memory-Usage | GPU-Util  Compute M. |
|                               |                      |               MIG M. |
|   0  NVIDIA GeForce ...  Off  | 00000000:01:00.0 Off |                  N/A |
| N/A   63C    P8     3W /  N/A |      0MiB /  3911MiB |      0%      Default |
|                               |                      |                  N/A |
| Processes:                                                                  |
|  GPU   GI   CI        PID   Type   Process name                  GPU Memory |
|        ID   ID                                                   Usage      |
|  No running processes found                                                 |

How do I get my fps back? (It’s very frustrating, i expected more out of this machine)

Isnt all that elegant … what are you using it for?

Sure you want this instead of 470 ?

1 Like

There’s nothing wrong with it, I thought it would be relevant information so I put it there.

So I should not upgrade to the latest version of nvidia drivers right?
I guess I’ll try downgrading to 470 then…

I didnt ask that … but there is … and multiple threads here about it not working with latest (not even latest, but new to manjaro-stable) Xorg.

1 Like

Sounds like your Intel graphics are being used, not your NVIDIA graphics. See Configure Graphics Cards - Manjaro

That doesn’t seem to be the case… The F3 Debug screen reports it using nvidia.
removing the prime-run from the wrapper commands makes the game report using the intel iGPU.

aight, I’ll try removing optimus-manager and see the performance.

EDIT: yes, removing optimus-manager restored the performance. Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.