Microphones are not working

I am completely stuck with this and I no idea where to investigate further. So, these are the points I assembled so far:

$ inxi -Fazy
[cut]
Audio:
  Device-1: Intel Sunrise Point-LP HD Audio vendor: Acer Incorporated ALI 
  driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel alternate: snd_soc_skl bus ID: 00:1f.3 
  chip ID: 8086:9d70 
  Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.4.80-2-MANJARO 
[cut]
  • The problem is dependend on the user. There are four users on my laptop: on 2 of them, it works, on 1 it does not work, 1 untested. This one user for whom it fails does not have admin (or sudo or wheel) privileges.
  • PulseAudio mixer and ALSA mixer interpret the problem the same way: There is a microphone, but it is muted and it cannot be unmuted.
  • No application can access the microphone. Applications (like Zoom) don’t even list the microphone.
  • The problem is independend from the microphone: The laptop’s internal microphone as well as a connected headset show up the same (present, but somehow disabled, and not available in applications).
  • Until two days ago, it was working fine. There was no update in between.

So summarized: Chances are that the user made some strange settings I am not aware of. It does not look like a system-wide problem (otherwise, all users were affected).

Does anyone have an idea?

Ok, I can answer myself today.

First of all, as I guessed, this was a user problem. However, it was either not quite obvious from the tools I used, or they really do not display it.

QasMixer finally showed kind of a mute button below the microphone volume slider which I was able to toggle the microphone on. From then on, the button in the sound settings of Cinnamon was also enabled.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.