Microphone voice is pitched

HI there,
I have a weird problem. When I join Teamspeak, a Microsoft Teams Meeting … My voice is pitched higher than usual. When I am connected to Teamspeak I do kill the process of pulseaudio (pulseaudio -k).
Then I am closing Teamspeak (it takes about 5seconds to close) and while TS is closing I type pulseaudio --start. This usually fixes it.

Further when I start Star Citizen sometimes my sound is crackling and youtube will be pitched down (but this I think is due to Star Citizen as when I close it everything is back to normal).

Does anyone have an idea what this could be?

I am using a USB microphone and did not alter my pulseaudio config.

EDIT: xfce, 5.15.21-1-MANJARO, beyerdynamic FOX microphone USB

Hello,

Probably this might help

And if you completely switch to pipewire? How about when using a RT kernel?

Killing PulseAudio is not a good idea, --start option does not restart systemd services and load all the modules. Only a reboot can start PulseAudio again correctly after --kill

Better to stop the pulseaudio systemd socket and service to use microphone with ALSA

systemctl --user stop pulseaudio.socket pulseaudio.service

to restart:

systemctl --user start pulseaudio.socket

OR the USB microphone can be disconnected from PulseAudio to use ALSA for Teamspeak/Teams, so PulseAudio can continue running other audio devices
Change the Profile for the USB mic to Off in PulseAudio Volume Control > Configuration tab ( pavucontrol -t 5 ) and

Changing sample rate is used in professional audio for changing pitch or timing of an audio clip.
If audio is resampled to a lower sample rate, the audio clip gets shorter and the audio plays back at a faster speed with a higher pitch

I suspect that Teamspeak/Teams is probably wanting 44100 or 48000 Hz audio but the USB microphone audio is producing audio at higher sample.
Beyerdynamic website mentions that this microphone has 24bit 96000 Hz audio, but no mention in specifications about support for lower samplerates

To check sample rates I suggest making test recordings in Audacity and change the Project Rate
until recording is at normal pitch.

To use Teamspeak/Teams with this microphone would probably require use of ALSA plughw connection to resample audio instead of direct hw connection

I also suggest trying to use PulseAudio for audio connection to Teamspeak/Teams.
If PulseAudio cannot resample audio automatically, the sample rate can be changed by loading an additional module module-remap-source

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.