MHWD quits when I try to install NVIDIA driver

I’m trying to update my NVIDIA driver. Currently, I have video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-440xx-prime installed. I would like to install video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-450xx-prime, so I typed the following command:

sudo mhwd -i pci video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-450xx-prime

But this just does this:

> Dependencies to install: video-modesetting
Proceed with installation? [Y/n]
Y

After I type “Y”, mhwd just quits, with no further output whatsoever. The reason I want to install the newer driver is that when I try recording with OBS using the hardware encoding, it doesn’t work, and says I should install a newer driver.

So, does anyone know why this is happening?

This is a bug, please install video-modesetting and try again.

How can I install video-modesetting? I can’t find it with pacman -S video-modesetting or yay -S video-modesetting

Hi!
You need to install first video-modesettings

sudo mhwd -i pci video-modesettings

Ohh I see, I’ll try that, thank you

Well, it fixed that, but now I’m getting this error:

[j4cobgarby@j4cobgarby-desktop ~]$ sudo mhwd -i pci video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-450xx-prime
> Installing video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-450xx-prime...
Sourcing /etc/mhwd-x86_64.conf
Has lib32 support: true
Sourcing /var/lib/mhwd/db/pci/graphic_drivers/hybrid-intel-nvidia-450xx-prime/MHWDCONFIG
Processing classid: 0300
Sourcing /var/lib/mhwd/scripts/include/0300
checking dependencies...
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: removing nvidia-440xx-utils breaks dependency 'nvidia-utils' required by nvidia-prime    
Error: pacman failed!
Error: script failed!

Should I uninstall the previous driver?

Remove nvidia-prime (and other offending packages - not blindly!) and reinstall it after the 450xx driver has been installed.

That worked, thanks

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.