Mexico Locale / my system time is correct and show correct, but some app show the wrong time (1 hour ahead)

Hi there, I am having a weird issue with time in Manjaro that i cannot seem to find a solution for. I’m based in Mexico City, where this year they stopped changing from summer to winter… and this has been causing a few issues all around.

The main one now is that although my system time is correct and show correct, some apps still show the wrong time (1 hour ahead) - whatsapp-nativefier & zoho-cliq chat are two good examples.

Local time: Mon 2023-04-10 12:21:39 CST
Universal time: Mon 2023-04-10 18:21:39 UTC
RTC time: Mon 2023-04-10 18:21:39
Time zone: America/Mexico_City (CST, -0600)
System clock synchronized: yes
NTP service: active
RTC in local TZ: no

Any suggestion? this is doing my head-in! Thank you!

1 Like

Welcome to the forum!

You didn’t say where you installed those applications from, but they are both available through the AUR, so I’m assuming that you’ve installed them from there, as opposed to Snap, FlatPak, Appimage or a vendor-supplied format.

The only thing I can therefore think of, given that you’re running Plasma, is to tell you to check whether the following KDE service is running and enabled at startup… :arrow_down:

System Settings → Workspace → Startup and Shutdown → Background Services → Time Zone

Check if that happens on KDE or GTK apps. If the later, the comment by @Aragorn solved a similar issue for me.

1 Like

Thank you, Aragorn. The apps were indeed installed through AUR, I went to check the startup service as you suggested, and it was already active.

Any other ideas? It is super strange.

systemctl status systemd-timesyncd 

running ?

try this

sudo timedatectl set-local-rtc 0
sudo hwclock --systohc --utc
sudo systemctl enable --now systemd-timesyncd
1 Like

Well, both of your misbehaving apps are Electron-based, so I’m guessing it must be a bug in the Electron framework. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Indeed, it appears so at the moment. I have encountered a similar error with some extensions in Sidekick, a Chromium-based browser, such as Clockify (which may also be utilizing Electron).

UPDATE: Electron 24 is expected to resolve the issue and restore normal functionality. I am currently awaiting its addition to the repositories.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.