Meta ("Windows") key does not register on Lenovo IdeaPad

my meta keys does not register when pressed, but alt+f1 works fine

after some digging, i find that my meta keys does not generate a scan code with showkey --scancodes but in evtest my meta keys event code exists

my device is Lenovo ideapad 320-14IKB

Not running on an IdeaPad and showkey works here:

kb mode was UNICODE
[ if you are trying this under X, it might not work
since the X server is also reading /dev/console ]

press any key (program terminates 10s after last keypress)...
keycode  28 release
keycode 125 press
keycode 125 release
keycode 125 press
keycode 125 release

28 was the [enter] being released and 125 was meta being pressed and released twice.

So I’ve edited your title to reflect this important new information and let’s hope someone with your hardware can confirm / deny, because my conclusion from the above data is:

Change the keyboard because you have a hardware error.

:man_shrugging:

(While waiting for someone with an IdeaPad: do you have an external keyboard you can test???)

currently i have no external keyboard for testing, but i have tried to change keyboard model in settings which in other thread can work but come to no avail to me

i think there is a possibility that my windows key is dead

I have an even more interesting behavior here.
The Windows key itself works, it opens the Whisker Menu (I am on XFCE).

However, no combinations with the Windows key, such as Win+D for showing the desktop in Openbox, or Win+E for executing a file, work.
There is also nothing in xev or xbindkeys when I press the Windows key in any combination.

sorry for no update, after further lookup apparrently my windows key is dead
i confirm this apparently with remote-touchpad and using meta keys in remote device are working correctly

I’ve changed the solution to this one as that will help other people that have the same issue as you more than your confirmation that the key is indeed dead.

:wink:

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.