Mesa now coming directly from arch?

Hi,

just received a stable update. Not sure about its full extent since there has been no announcement yet. However, I have noticed that mesa is now at 24.0.8. Cannot find that on Packages / Extra / mesa · GitLab that is still at 24.0.7 though.

Can someone please clarify if manjaro has switched to the arch pkgbuild for mesa?

I actually do not know why Manjaro had its own pkgbuild for mesa before, but has that become unnecessary now?

Also a suggestion. I think that it is important that the pkgbuild files for current packages are always identifiable.

I dont believe so.

Check yourself;

pacman -Qi mesa | grep Packager

Me too, but good luck.
Not even all are available.
So having them all up to date is a step even further away. :wink:

Isn’t the packager just the one running the makepkg independently of where hte pkgbuild script comes from? I see that the packager is from manjaro, but how can I say if he is just building from the arch pkgbuild or using a manjaro specific pkgbuild that for some reason has not jet landed on the manjaro gitlab?

My issue now is that I want to build my own libva-mesa with the non-free codecs, but I do not know which pkgbuild to patch…

While true … if it was directly from Arch then there would be no reason for Phil to build it.
It would just be the package from Arch in our repos, like 90% of it is, and retain the Arch packager.

There are dedicated threads for this subject. But really the manjaro package is the Arch package with the proprietary codecs removed.

1 Like
$ mbn info mesa -q
Branch         : archlinux
Name           : mesa
Version        : 1:24.0.8-1
Repository     : extra
Build Date     : Fri 24 May 2024 02:27:22 
Packager       : Jan Alexander Steffens (heftig) <heftig@archlinux.org>
Branch         : unstable
Build Date     : Thu 23 May 2024 00:50:34 
Packager       : Philip Mueller <philm@manjaro.org>
Branch         : testing
Branch         : stable

:wink: :point_down:

Happy DIY !

Completely agree that pkgbuilds being unavailable is not a good look for an FOSS project…

For mesa (and lib32-mesa if required) you can just clone the Arch repo, checkout the matching version, and build that. The only thing Manjaro changes is the option to build all codecs.

git clone https://gitlab.archlinux.org/archlinux/packaging/packages/mesa.git
cd mesa
git checkout 1-24.0.8-1
makepkg --skippgpcheck
1 Like

Yes, I customarily rebuild my libva-mesa to re-enable the codecs, it is easy. But clearly to re-build you need to know the recipe of the original build.

So far I have relied on Packages / Extra / mesa · GitLab. What is unclear is if I should switch to Arch Linux / Packaging / Packages / mesa · GitLab for it.

Yes, this morning the announcement is there!!!

unclear is if I should switch

As you are on stable-branch (my guess), you have to look for the crumbs they left behind.
Mesa 1.24.0.8-1 has not found his way to gitlab yet (2024-05-30, 11.56h europe/germany).
I’m on testing for a few weeks now, my AUR packages (…yes, me too!) couldn’t stand stable any more after weeks of stagnation.
Now I’m on mesa 1.24.1.0-1 and finally (after months), a patch was merged and hardware acceleration is back for chromium (yay!!!).
If you are unsure, i can send you a PKGBUILD for mesa 1.24.0.8-1

Edit: It finally landed

1 Like

29 May 2024 18:03 - Manjaro 2024-05-29 Stable Update ($1022) · Snippets · GitLab
30 May 2024 00:35 - [Stable Update] 2024-05-29 - Known Issues and solutions

Users who like to read announcements before updating should consider that there may be a delay in publishing documentation

If the Manjaro package is inherited from Arch, modified to remove proprietary codecs and released to all branches, package should have been documented soon after the build date (23 May 2024) or release to Testing branch (2024-05-25)