Matrix client with E2E

I appreciate availability of Fractal on the phone, but Fractal does not support E2E.

Any suggestions for Matrix client, would be possible to install Element?

1 Like

Good to see someone else is looking into this!

I tried installing Element when I was testing the Plasma version a few days ago which did not work due to the keyboard not coming up. (link here) Of course, I also gave it another go on Phosh, but the result was messy.

For now I am using nheko which I installed as a Flatpak (thus, you may need to install that first). It generally works pretty well, however sometimes parts of the GUI seem to be ā€œmissingā€ which interferes with usability (e.g. one might be unable to scroll or return to the list of rooms). Also, there doesnā€™t seem to be any alert for new messages. However, maybe I just havenā€™t figured out how to enable this. :innocent:

Cetero censeo focusing on communication software for this phone platform will be key to having a wider range of users adopt it. As aforementioned, I for one hope for a good Matrix and SIP client. BTW, thanks for your hint on that topic. Iā€™ll look into it.

Thank you for the tip Iā€™ll try nhenko, though I wonder whether is good to use desktop apps or touchscreen optimised apps, even if it requires more work to start with.

I suppose that is questions about any applications, the adaption by other users would be small if they are not well optimised for a smaller touchscreens.

Just an update: Element-Desktop is available in the repository and it is possible to install it. It did not run in Phosh due to X / display issues (Element cannot open display : :0), but I had no problem to run it in Plasma. Jami also works in Plasma.
However, Element-Desktop is really desktop app and not easily to use on the small touch screen, so https://hydrogen.element.io/ in web browser is still the only option.

Just an update on nheko. It actually work fine as a touchscreen optimized app. However, there are two problem which have been getting worse recently.
a) It keeps crashing, sometimes resetting my config (i.e. another round of painfully re-typing my password).
b) The keyboard does not come up automatically.
FYI, I am using the current version of the phosh flavored edition.

Fractal supports E2E, Iā€™m using on Phosh.
But the interface is very confusing at first.

I havenā€™t really gotten around to trying out Fractal that much. It seems whenever I start it Iā€™ll have to log in again, i.e. it does not retain my login credentials. That is quite inconvenient. Is it just me or do others face the same obstacle?

Actually, thatā€™s precisely what fractal does not do. I have sent messages to an end-to-end encrypted root, and they always arrive unencrypted.

Oh yeah, I confused for Mirage. Sorry. (/Ļ‰ćƒ»ļ¼¼)ļ¾ļ¾—ļ½Æ