Many errors from archlinux-keyring-wkd-sync.service

Looks like your mirror is slow or your internet has a problem.

Actually, according to this your present mirror (manjaro.kurdy.org) is broken;

https://repo.manjaro.org

So …

sudo pacman-mirrors -f && sudo pacman -Syu

Done but:

systemctl start archlinux-keyring-wkd-sync
Job for archlinux-keyring-wkd-sync.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
See "systemctl status archlinux-keyring-wkd-sync.service" and "journalctl -xeu archlinux-keyring-wkd-sync.service" for details.
dave  [~]  journalctl -xeu archlinux-keyring-wkd-sync.service
░░ Automatic restarting of the unit archlinux-keyring-wkd-sync.service has been scheduled, as the result for
░░ the configured Restart= setting for the unit.
░░ the configured Restart= setting for the unit.
gen 22 07:35:40 hal9000 systemd[1]: archlinux-keyring-wkd-sync.service: Start request repeated too quickly.
gen 22 07:35:40 hal9000 systemd[1]: archlinux-keyring-wkd-sync.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
░░ Subject: Unit failed
░░ Defined-By: systemd
░░ Support: https://forum.manjaro.org/c/support
░░ 
░░ The unit archlinux-keyring-wkd-sync.service has entered the 'failed' state with result 'exit-code'.
gen 22 07:35:40 hal9000 systemd[1]: Failed to start Refresh existing keys of archlinux-keyring.
░░ Subject: A start job for unit archlinux-keyring-wkd-sync.service has failed
░░ 
░░ A start job for unit archlinux-keyring-wkd-sync.service has finished with a failure.
░░ 
░░ The job identifier is 25863 and the job result is failed.
gen 22 07:35:40 hal9000 systemd[1]: archlinux-keyring-wkd-sync.service: Consumed 3.766s CPU time.
░░ Subject: Resources consumed by unit runtime
░░ 
░░ The unit archlinux-keyring-wkd-sync.service completed and consumed the indicated resources.
gen 22 08:04:19 hal9000 systemd[1]: archlinux-keyring-wkd-sync.service: Start request repeated too quickly.
gen 22 08:04:19 hal9000 systemd[1]: archlinux-keyring-wkd-sync.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
░░ Subject: Unit failed
░░ 
░░ The unit archlinux-keyring-wkd-sync.service has entered the 'failed' state with result 'exit-code'.
gen 22 08:04:19 hal9000 systemd[1]: Failed to start Refresh existing keys of archlinux-keyring.
░░ Subject: A start job for unit archlinux-keyring-wkd-sync.service has failed
░░ 
░░ A start job for unit archlinux-keyring-wkd-sync.service has finished with a failure.
░░ 
░░ The job identifier is 26570 and the job result is failed.
dave  [~]  systemctl status archlinux-keyring-wkd-sync
× archlinux-keyring-wkd-sync.service - Refresh existing keys of archlinux-keyring
     Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/archlinux-keyring-wkd-sync.service; static)
     Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Mon 2024-01-22 07:35:40 CET; 29min ago
   Duration: 21.878s
TriggeredBy: ● archlinux-keyring-wkd-sync.timer
    Process: 636460 ExecStart=/usr/bin/archlinux-keyring-wkd-sync (code=exited, status=2)
   Main PID: 636460 (code=exited, status=2)
        CPU: 3.766s

gen 22 07:35:40 hal9000 systemd[1]: archlinux-keyring-wkd-sync.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 3.
gen 22 07:35:40 hal9000 systemd[1]: archlinux-keyring-wkd-sync.service: Start request repeated too quickly.
gen 22 07:35:40 hal9000 systemd[1]: archlinux-keyring-wkd-sync.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
gen 22 07:35:40 hal9000 systemd[1]: Failed to start Refresh existing keys of archlinux-keyring.
gen 22 07:35:40 hal9000 systemd[1]: archlinux-keyring-wkd-sync.service: Consumed 3.766s CPU time.
gen 22 08:04:19 hal9000 systemd[1]: archlinux-keyring-wkd-sync.service: Start request repeated too quickly.
gen 22 08:04:19 hal9000 systemd[1]: archlinux-keyring-wkd-sync.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.

You can always set the mirrors to the all countries to you:

sudo pacman-mirrors --country all --timeout 5 && sudo pacman -Syu

Ignore this.

From man pacman-mirrors:

[...]
IMPORTANT
After all operations ALWAYS syncronize and update your system with

sudo pacman -Syyu

[...]

We’ve been over this a few dozen times.

No such text is in man pacman

It does exist in man pacman-mirrors … and is in error.

(or … may have been true at one time … but is not now)

I can also tell you anecdotally that I have managed multiple systems for years without using yy.
(and yes, directly after sorting mirrors as well)

yy is not required during 99% of use, and its over-use contributes to server load without bringing any benefit to the user - on the contrary a forced resync on a bad mirror can introduce problems, and is in any case a waste of resources on the user machine as well.

1 Like

I get that. I really do. I just went according to the man page. I know we’ve has the discussion before, that’s why I stated it was according to the man page.

It’s like me recommending pamac instead of pacman, I think…

Edit:

But I changed it now.

Not really.

One is of taste … folks can choose whichever.
Though the idea of ‘use pamac to avoid problems’ is stil laughable. :wink:

In this case we are talking about what is proper usage or required syntax … I realize the documentation you quoted exists … but I am also informing you it is incorrect.

The double-y exists for a reason … and can be used in certain situations.

Its just not what you should use the vast majority of the time.

Also note nowhere on that page does it say anything about ‘Syyu is needed’ after changing or sorting mirrors, or in any other situation for that matter. As quoted above it can be helpful in certain situations, though it is not even a suggested standard in that given scenario.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Mirrors#Force_pacman_to_refresh_the_package_lists

As to OP here … I think it may still have to do with the mirror (we did not see which was selected or any of the prior functions/responses) … and it may just need a reboot. But it may even fall under the special circumstances above of -Syyu being helpful when navigating away from a problematic mirror. I just wasnt going to suggest it first, nor do I consider it a requirement … as above.

Now archlinux-keyring-wkd-sync.service has gone better, but at the end:

Error refreshing key 48C3B1F30DDD0FE67E516D16396E3E25BAB142C1 with UID keenerd@archlinux.org.
Error refreshing key B8151B117037781095514CA7BBDFFC92306B1121 with UID andrew@archlinux.org.

EDIT: to be clear: with “has gone better” I mean that has been able to refresh an huge list.

And that’s why I suggested it here.

I never said it avoids problems. Humans will always find or have a way to break stuff. In this case Linux. All I said was pamac does more things, so it requires less human, error-prone intervention. (It does more. If you’re going to break it, you’re going to break it.)

But it doesnt.
Unless you mean access to AUR, Flatpak, Snap … then sure, conceded.
It does not afford any extra ‘refresh after some driver is installed’, more/better dependency checking, or have its own ‘hooks’ that would not fire if pacman had been used … as has been suggested in other threads.

No I didn’t mean that. I don’t even have Flatpak or Snap installed…Tried it. Didn’t like it. Stopped it.

I went according to this:

I also never use or recommend the GUI, so thosee bugs last time didn’t affect me or the advice I gave.

The archlinux-keyring-wkd-sync.service should not be enabled - it is triggered by archlinux-keyring-wkd-sync.timer every 5 days.

$ systemctl status archlinux-keyring-wkd-sync.timer
● archlinux-keyring-wkd-sync.timer - Refresh existing PGP keys of archlinux-keyring regularly
     Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/archlinux-keyring-wkd-sync.timer; static)
     Active: active (waiting) since Sat 2024-01-20 19:11:25 CET; 1 day 14h ago
    Trigger: Fri 2024-01-26 17:01:20 CET; 4 days left
   Triggers: ● archlinux-keyring-wkd-sync.service

jan 20 19:11:25 tiger systemd[1]: Started Refresh existing PGP keys of archlinux-keyring regularly.

I didn’t install archlinux-keyring; was already there.

EDIT:

Is available also here, for the Stable branch: Packages

Mine is also the default on stable, and:

$ systemctl status archlinux-keyring-wkd-sync.service
○ archlinux-keyring-wkd-sync.service - Refresh existing keys of archlinux-keyring
Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/archlinux-keyring-wkd-sync.service; static)
Active: inactive (dead)
TriggeredBy: ● archlinux-keyring-wkd-sync.timer

$ systemctl status archlinux-keyring-wkd-sync.timer                                                                                                                                                                                                   3 ↵
● archlinux-keyring-wkd-sync.timer - Refresh existing PGP keys of archlinux-keyring regularly
Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/archlinux-keyring-wkd-sync.timer; static)
Active: active (waiting) since Tue 2024-01-16 14:12:02 SAST; 5 days ago
Trigger: Thu 2024-01-25 23:43:16 SAST; 3 days left
Triggers: ● archlinux-keyring-wkd-sync.service

Jan 16 14:12:02 Mirdarthos-PC systemd[1]: Started Refresh existing PGP keys of 

In facts I didn’t enable it: I just got the errors in the journal log by the execution of archlinux-keyring-wkd-sync.timer.

What I meant was not the package archlinux-keyring - it is necessary and the -wkd-sync is an extension to ensure the pgp keys are kept up-to-date

You may note thats pretty old.
I wonder if the difference came from the fact that pamac used to do a cascade removal by default.
Remember when folks would uninstall firefox and it would take half of KDE with it? That thing.
Which has since been changed (finally, thankfully).

pacman -Qo /usr/lib/systemd/system/archlinux-keyring-wkd-sync.service
/usr/lib/systemd/system/archlinux-keyring-wkd-sync.service is owned by archlinux-keyring 20231222-1

I know the files are owned by archlinux-keyring - I did not say it was an extension package I merely stated the extension text is an extension to keep the pgp-keys up-to-date

Yeah, I know. It is just an example as to my reasoning for it. Nothing else.

I am not yet well enough versed to not use it, or I might be.

So I know if I’m not, and considering I’ve used Linux for some time, albeit mostly without GUI on a server remotely, I figured this is easier and better for the newcomers. Which, let’s face it, the Forum is filled with.

And so far that has proved true…

So I’ll be the one providing the users with the easier option :wink:

https://manjaro.kurdy.org is back an issue of VPS provider. It took the supplier several hours to detect and repair…

1 Like