Manjaro Xfce will not do 75Hz refresh rate on a new monitor eventhough the monitor can

I recently bough a new ASUS monitor with a 75Hz refresh rate support. When I try to set that rate, (74.99) in the options, the monitor is going black saying that this format is not supported. I have a quad boot OS on that machine; Manjaro, Mint, Windows and Zorin. Windows (74.986Hz) and Mint (75Hz) work fine. But that 74.99Hz won’t work with Manjaro

“xrandr -q” report correctly a 74.99Hertz support but it won’t work. I try with that program 74.99, 75 or 74.986Hz and none work. Funny that Linux Mint has no problem with it. Any idea ?

What cable do you use?
HDMI and DisplayPort cables have limited bandwidth, and can only manage higher refresh rates and/or resolutions with later versions.

Not sure if I understand all that gibberish but like I said, the two others OS on that machine do 75Hz with the same cable (HDMI)

Hello, have you tried this
xrandr --output HDMI-0 --mode 1920x1080 --rate 75.00

where HDMI-0 = your monitor id and 1920x1080 = your screen resolution

The command works for me. I force the resolution.
To check that it works try running glxgears .

So, two out of four “work” - or does Zorin work as well?

How do you set the rate? - It seems that the monitor displays stuff until you try to change the rate.

It all can pretty much only be speculation without hardware information.
inxi -Fazy

Yes that’s the command I used. Like I said, I tried with 3 different vertical frequencies. The monitor black out each time.

I know you are trying to help but if I mention that two out of four works (Windows and Mint), the other two obviously don’t ! (Manjaro, Zorin). I use the, like I said again, the Manjaro monitor setting options which offer that frequency.

Its an AMD FX6300 with an Nvidia GTX 750Ti.

not all the people here
especially not the people asking questions,
are as as logically minded as you are - I was just checking

… and trying to convince persuade you to provide system information -
more comprehensive that what you just now did provide :nerd_face:

1 Like

Just an idea, have you tried to confirm with glxgears in Mint, that it actually produces 75Hz ??

Good question. No, but the monitor itself info screen report 1920x1080 75Hz in Linux Mint.

Interesting, the command “xrandr” return different results in both OS. The GTX has DVI - DP - HDMI outputs. Zorin output is the same as Manjaro.

Linux Mint (xrandr -q)

Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1920 x 1080, maximum 16384 x 16384
DVI-I-1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
HDMI-1 connected 1920x1080+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 527mm x 296mm
   1920x1080     60.00 +  59.96    74.99*   50.00    59.94    59.93  

Manjaro (xrandr -q)

Screen 0: minimum 8 x 8, current 1920 x 1080, maximum 16384 x 16384
DVI-I-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
DVI-I-1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
HDMI-0 connected 1920x1080+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 527mm x 296mm
   1920x1080     60.00*+  74.99    59.94    50.00    60.00    50.04  

Its weird that you can’t force it to 75Hz, but unless you can confirm with glxgears, than maybe the info from Mint is not accurate.
My new laptop has 165Hz refresh rate screen and xrandr as well as XFCE reported that, but when I run glxgears it showed 60Hz. So I forced it to 165Hz and confirmed with glxgears.Now all is good.
Just saying…
Maybe someone with more knowledge on this topic will help.

The monitor itself cannot lie. More testings and I check that both Manjaro and Zorin used the Nvidia proprietary driver while Mint use the open source nouveau driver. I switch Zorin to the nouveau driver and bingo, 75hz !!! The Nvidia driver seems to be problematic.

Note: so I then tried to set the proper refresh rate in the Nvidia settings panel through the X Server Display Configuration. It is grey out and cannot be change there. The resolution however seems to be selectable though.

as it so often is

but I will be out of here,
since I do not have
and never have had
Nvidia hardware
and my knowledge of it is only by way of reading here about problems with it

… not a solid base for good advice :grimacing:

In NVIDIA X Server Settings:

1 - Go to “X Server Display Configuration”, Then click “Advance” Tab.
2 - Make sure Force Composition Pipeline and Force Full Composition Pipeline are Unticked (Off).
3 - At “Resolution” set to your default Resolution (E.G. 1920x1080) and not on Auto.
4 - If all went well then the “Auto” for Refresh Rate should now be able to select a refresh rate and not be greyed out.

If this does not work then i have no idea?!

I don’t need to do all this on Gnome Desktop, just No.2, leaving Resolution on “Auto” works for me and i can set Refresh Rate using Gnome Display Settings.

Gee how did I miss this. Yes changing the NV panel option display configuration from auto to 1920x1080 unlock the vertical frequency selection. However, after selecting 75 Hz, the monitor still say it is an invalid signal and stay black. Same thing in Zorin. Well I guess I’ll have to live with it. The Nvidia driver is a requirement for gaming. At least Windows get it right !

Thanks everybody

Very strange, the only other option i can think of is the HDMI Cable, as it works on Windows and Mint with open source driver i can only think of it maybe NVIDIA use some form of signal though the HDMI Port/Cable that is missing/broken from your HDMI cable.

I had a somewhat problem like this with a Raspberry PI 3 and a Sony Bravia TV, First 2 HDMI Cable i tried failed to work/put up a picture and the TV just saying No Signal, But the 3rd HDMI cable i tested worked, the other 2 HDMI Cables worked fine on a Blueray Player and 1 of those new retro console that plays SNES/NES/Mega Drive cartridges on the same TV, so yeah if in Doubt always check your cables.

I tried another cable and no go. The monitor doesn’t have a DVI input. I tried the graphic card other port with a DVI->HDMI adapter. Na … Don’t know man … There are great mysteries in the universe that man are not suppose to understand :unamused: