Manjaro Telemetry

:hugs:
This is a quick #non-technical-question. Since I am using Manjaro and see such a great software, I feel like I need to give my two cents when it comes to #telemetry. Is there a button hidden somewhere that I can turn on so I can help out with crashes and updating things automatically? if not, how can I help so the #ManjaroTeam can get my information about what they need.

Thank you.
:smiley:

Linux distributions developers and maintainers, including Manjaroā€™s, usually do not rely on telemetry.

If you want to contribute, you can either donate or actively participate to the community, by helping fellow users, signaling bugs, or even contribute to the applications (code, translations, documentationā€¦).

Some DEs do some telemetry, I decided to activate the option kde has , since The last update was very smooth for me, liked some new features, so, I guess some information can help the future versions.

1 Like

As I understood, you wrote about issues.

KDEā€™s Settings ā†’ User Feedback suggest to profile your feature usage, not issues: just read what you are switching. A single apps (dolphin, kate, etc.) has the same feedback switch also.

May be

pacman -Si drkonqi

can help you in that. But I canā€™t quickly find detailed information about that app.

We are working on a way to add telemetry to Manjaro by 2022. Therefore we started a project with other companies and friends of open source to create an ethical solution. As soon as we have our first testable version ready, be sure that we will announce it properly.

Telemetry is needed also for open source development. Kde feedback is a good example of that, but it can be done better. So stay tuned for more news.

10 Likes

@philm Thank you for the kindness of replying. I agree that telemetry is necessary, otherwise developer will not know what to improved on, among other things. Thank you once again.

Sending crash reports, i.e your initial request is different than being monitored 24/7 like Winblows and some browsers and websites do, i.e. sending your mouse movements, what you click, and sickening stuff like that, I hope you donā€™t mean that, because perfectly numbed users coming from M$ and using Google products are quite common these days.

Software development did not start with Winblows 8 where M$ laid off hundreds of Q&A testers because spying was ā€œoh so convenientā€, good software has been around since decades and was build without spying, there are already non offending ways to get feedback for improvement, like interaction with the userbase via forums, polls, via submitted crash & bug reports, hiring skilled engineers, investing in strong Q&A and other I am probably missing.

3 Likes

Thereā€™s a difference between telemetry and spyware. :wink:

6 Likes

Iā€™d wholeheartedly support this for the sole purpose of developing and improving Manjaro releases.

Iā€™m a casual home user who doesnā€™t really know what heā€™s doing most of the time and doesnā€™t visit these forums often enough. Still, Iā€™d like to be able to contribute simply on the basis of being an every-day user of the OS.

As long as itā€™s voluntary and only collecting things like hardware details plus log errors and warnings, Iā€™d be happy.

2 Likes

We want to start with kernel version and DE. Maybe in future weā€™ll add other data pieces and make some like KDEā€™s telemetry slider with detailed info about each.

2 Likes

It would be nice though if there was only one slider controlling the systemā€™s telemetry to not confuse people.

1 Like

And more importantly, being transparent about which data is sent.

3 Likes

There are other people who believe that telemetry uses spyware when they know it on Windows.

That is why Manjaro should explain them, telemetry is not spyware.

1 Like

Need ability to show JSON data suggested to send, like Telegramā€™s crash reporter does ([v3.1.8 (beta)] Unable to submit a bug auto-report in a window while Telegram starts Ā· Issue #17137 Ā· telegramdesktop/tdesktop Ā· GitHub).

Hm, but a telemetry, which:
-) not turn-able off (not controlled by user),
-) having unknown data sources to collect info from OR does not showing what data it sends
named spyware by itā€™s definition.

I also want telemetry to be able to auto (via single click) to:
-) crash report,
-) error report,
-) warning report,
-) feature usage,
-) something else.

With abilities to control telemetry:
-) to turn them on/off whole component,
-) to setup it to select sources to share,
-) to show sending data.

All to send info via secured connection only (we are in 2022 year at the moment of the app release, please implement secure connection, no any non-encrypted connections), please.

Please.

And all or it to prevent Manjaro to start itā€™s way to ā€œManjarindowsā€.

I believe that I did not tell something new, but just remind some core aspects only.

Thank you! :yellow_heart:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.