Graphic issues, mouse and keyboard not properly working after login

Hello.
When booting into manjaro, I experience several issues:

• my keyboard doesn’t work in terminal (which makes it difficult to retrieve system info or logfiles)
  • in the launcher I cannot type nor click
  • my mouse-pointer shows a small cross instead of the normal arrow
  • Many windows of applications cannot be resized or closed. When moving, the windows create a tail

Please help troubleshooting. I assume it has something to do with graphics, but this is just a guess. Thank you.

1 Like

Maybe you can use manjaro-log-helper to retrieve information?

And/or maybe the keyboard works in TTY? (ctrl+alt+f3)

Something like inxi -Fazy would be good to start … if only to gather information like Desktop, etc.

What? Please use actual words. This is a support forum, not a social network or instant messenger. Invented abbreviations are not appropriate.

Help us help you. Please see:

2 Likes

Thank you both for your comments.

TTY worked. Here, you can find the response of inxi -Fazy and the Error-log of the last boot.:

Could you also post the output of:

pacman -Qs portal

Thanks.

local/libportal 0.7-1
    GIO-style async APIs for most Flatpak portals
local/libportal-gtk3 0.7-1
    GIO-style async APIs for most Flatpak portals - GTK 3 backend
local/libportal-gtk4 0.7-1
    GIO-style async APIs for most Flatpak portals - GTK 4 backend
local/xdg-desktop-portal 1.16.0-3
    Desktop integration portals for sandboxed apps
local/xdg-desktop-portal-gnome 44.2-1 (gnome)
    A backend implementation for xdg-desktop-portal for the GNOME desktop environment
local/xdg-desktop-portal-gtk 1.14.1-1
    A backend implementation for xdg-desktop-portal using GTK

Which desktop environment are you using?

If not using Gnome, please uninstall ‘xdg-desktop-portal-gnome’:

sudo pacman -R xdg-desktop-portal-gnome

If using KDE Plasma, install this version instead:

sudo pacman -S xdg-desktop-portal-kde

…and reboot.

From the output:

Console: tty 3 DM: 1: GDM v: 44.1 2: LightDM v: 1.32.0 note: stopped

So, please provide the output of:

systemctl status gdm
     Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/gdm.service; enabled; preset: disabled)
     Active: active (running) since Thu 2023-10-05 14:43:02 CEST; 49min ago
   Main PID: 1416 (gdm)
      Tasks: 4 (limit: 38399)
     Memory: 10.8M
        CPU: 67ms
     CGroup: /system.slice/gdm.service
             └─1416 /usr/bin/gdm

Oct 05 14:43:02 Workstation systemd[1]: Starting GNOME Display Manager...
Oct 05 14:43:02 Workstation systemd[1]: Started GNOME Display Manager.
Oct 05 14:43:13 Workstation gdm-password][3715]: gkr-pam: unable to locate daemon control file
Oct 05 14:43:13 Workstation gdm-password][3715]: gkr-pam: stashed password to try later in open session
Oct 05 14:43:13 Workstation gdm-password][3715]: pam_unix(gdm-password:session): session opened for user dejhost(uid=1000) by dejhost(uid=0)
Oct 05 14:43:13 Workstation gdm-password][3715]: gkr-pam: unlocked login keyring
Oct 05 14:43:25 Workstation gdm[1416]: Gdm: Child process -1529 was already dead.
Oct 05 14:46:20 Workstation gdm[1416]: Gdm: Child process -9521 was already dead.```

I was under the impression I used XFCE.

I see nothing there, so please provide the output of:

journalctl --catalog --unit=gdm.service --no-pager

:bangbang: Tip: :bangbang:

When posting terminal output, copy the output and paste it here, wrapped in three (3) backticks, before AND after the pasted text. Like this:

```
pasted text
```

Or three (3) tilde signs, like this:

~~~
pasted text
~~~

This will just cause it to be rendered like this:

Sed
sollicitudin dolor
eget nisl elit id
condimentum
arcu erat varius
cursus sem quis eros.

Instead of like this:

Sed sollicitudin dolor eget nisl elit id condimentum arcu erat varius cursus sem quis eros.

Alternatively, paste the text you wish to format as terminal output, select all pasted text, and click the </> button on the taskbar. This will indent the whole pasted section with one TAB, causing it to render the same way as described above.

Thereby increasing legibility thus making it easier for those trying to provide assistance.

For more information, please see:

:bangbang::bangbang: Additionally

If your language isn’t English, please prepend any and all terminal commands with LC_ALL=C. For example:

LC_ALL=C bluetoothctl

This will just cause the terminal output to be in English, making it easier to understand and debug.

journalctl --catalog --unit=gdm.service --no-pager
Oct 05 14:43:02 Workstation systemd[1]: Starting GNOME Display Manager...
░░ Subject: A start job for unit gdm.service has begun execution
░░ Defined-By: systemd
░░ Support: https://forum.manjaro.org/c/support
░░ 
░░ A start job for unit gdm.service has begun execution.
░░ 
░░ The job identifier is 191.
Oct 05 14:43:02 Workstation systemd[1]: Started GNOME Display Manager.
░░ Subject: A start job for unit gdm.service has finished successfully
░░ Defined-By: systemd
░░ Support: https://forum.manjaro.org/c/support
░░ 
░░ A start job for unit gdm.service has finished successfully.
░░ 
░░ The job identifier is 191.
Oct 05 14:43:13 Workstation gdm-password][3715]: gkr-pam: unable to locate daemon control file
Oct 05 14:43:13 Workstation gdm-password][3715]: gkr-pam: stashed password to try later in open session
Oct 05 14:43:13 Workstation gdm-password][3715]: pam_unix(gdm-password:session): session opened for user dejhost(uid=1000) by dejhost(uid=0)
Oct 05 14:43:13 Workstation gdm-password][3715]: gkr-pam: unlocked login keyring
Oct 05 14:43:25 Workstation gdm[1416]: Gdm: Child process -1529 was already dead.
Oct 05 14:46:20 Workstation gdm[1416]: Gdm: Child process -9521 was already dead.
Oct 05 15:32:56 Workstation gdm[1416]: GLib: Source ID 124 was not found when attempting to remove it
Oct 05 15:33:06 Workstation gdm[1416]: Gdm: Child process -55330 was already dead.
Oct 05 15:36:47 Workstation gdm[1416]: GLib: Source ID 182 was not found when attempting to remove it
Oct 05 15:36:58 Workstation gdm[1416]: Gdm: Child process -61166 was already dead.```

I have not uninstalled this yet. Should I?

Only if you are not using Gnome.

xdg-desktop-portal-gtk is already installed, and is probably fine for most everything else.

It’s a known issue of late that xdg-desktop-portal-gnome gets installed automatically even when not using Gnome as your DE. Uninstall it in that case. Cheers.

and REBOOT.

Xfce uses GTK and GDM IIRC

I uninstalled Gnome and rebooted. The manjaro-experience has improved: for example, I can move around and maximize/minimize at least some of the windows. On the other hand, I can not type into a terminal or close a terminal-window, once opened.

Should I follow these instructions to install the basic Xfce environment and lightdm? I believe, that this is what I used earlier. Do I need to remove anything else before that?

Yes, that should do it. Cheers. :partying_face:

I installed xfce and lightdm. If there are improvements at all, they are very small.
I am posting once more the results of the commands I executed earlier to retrieve information:

● gdm.service - GNOME Display Manager
     Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/gdm.service; enabled; preset: disabled)
     Active: active (running) since Thu 2023-10-05 16:19:16 CEST; 4min 59s ago
   Main PID: 1497 (gdm)
      Tasks: 4 (limit: 38399)
     Memory: 10.8M
        CPU: 50ms
     CGroup: /system.slice/gdm.service
             └─1497 /usr/bin/gdm

Oct 05 16:19:16 Workstation systemd[1]: Starting GNOME Display Manager...
Oct 05 16:19:16 Workstation systemd[1]: Started GNOME Display Manager.
Oct 05 16:19:28 Workstation gdm-password][3785]: gkr-pam: unable to locate daemon control file
Oct 05 16:19:28 Workstation gdm-password][3785]: gkr-pam: stashed password to try later in open session
Oct 05 16:19:28 Workstation gdm-password][3785]: pam_unix(gdm-password:session): session opened for user dejhost(uid=1000) by dejhost(uid=0)
Oct 05 16:19:28 Workstation gdm-password][3785]: gkr-pam: unlocked login keyring
Oct 05 16:19:40 Workstation gdm[1497]: Gdm: Child process -1612 was already dead.
local/libportal 0.7-1
    GIO-style async APIs for most Flatpak portals
local/libportal-gtk3 0.7-1
    GIO-style async APIs for most Flatpak portals - GTK 3 backend
local/libportal-gtk4 0.7-1
    GIO-style async APIs for most Flatpak portals - GTK 4 backend
local/xdg-desktop-portal 1.16.0-3
    Desktop integration portals for sandboxed apps
local/xdg-desktop-portal-gtk 1.14.1-1
    A backend implementation for xdg-desktop-portal using GTK

gdm.service at pastebin

Do you have any aditional ideas, what I could try? Or do I need to reinstall Manjaro?
Thank you for you help.

Sadly, none.

While it’s generally not necessary to reinstall Linux, sometimes it is the quicker solution. It depends on you, though. Or, y’know, backups would have been cool, too.

One presumes you uninstalled them first, before re-installing.

If starting afresh is an option for you and you still want to use XFCE, I’d suggest downloading the latest full install media. If your machine is new(ish) and performant, you might even consider another DE such as KDE Plasma. While the full install media isn’t strictly necessary (it can be big), it does install a complete environment without much fuss.

trying to uninstall xfce4

pacman -Rs xfce4

gives me:

checking dependencies...
:: removing xfconf breaks dependency 'xfconf' required by catfish
:: removing xfconf breaks dependency 'xfconf' required by libxfce4ui
:: removing xfconf breaks dependency 'xfconf' required by ristretto
:: removing tumbler breaks dependency 'tumbler' required by ristretto
:: removing thunar breaks dependency 'thunar' required by thunar-archive-plugin
:: removing thunar breaks dependency 'thunar' required by thunar-media-tags-plugin
:: removing thunar breaks dependency 'thunar' required by thunarx-python
:: removing exo breaks dependency 'exo' required by xfburn
:: removing xfce4-panel breaks dependency 'xfce4-panel' required by xfce4-battery-plugin
:: removing xfce4-panel breaks dependency 'xfce4-panel' required by xfce4-clipman-plugin
:: removing xfce4-panel breaks dependency 'xfce4-panel' required by xfce4-cpufreq-plugin
:: removing xfce4-panel breaks dependency 'xfce4-panel' required by xfce4-cpugraph-plugin
:: removing xfconf breaks dependency 'xfconf' required by xfce4-cpugraph-plugin
:: removing xfce4-panel breaks dependency 'xfce4-panel' required by xfce4-dict
:: removing xfce4-panel breaks dependency 'xfce4-panel' required by xfce4-diskperf-plugin
:: removing xfce4-panel breaks dependency 'xfce4-panel' required by xfce4-eyes-plugin
:: removing xfce4-panel breaks dependency 'xfce4-panel' required by xfce4-fsguard-plugin
:: removing xfce4-panel breaks dependency 'xfce4-panel' required by xfce4-genmon-plugin
:: removing xfce4-panel breaks dependency 'xfce4-panel' required by xfce4-mailwatch-plugin
:: removing xfce4-panel breaks dependency 'xfce4-panel' required by xfce4-mount-plugin
:: removing xfce4-panel breaks dependency 'xfce4-panel' required by xfce4-mpc-plugin
:: removing xfce4-panel breaks dependency 'xfce4-panel' required by xfce4-netload-plugin
:: removing xfce4-panel breaks dependency 'xfce4-panel' required by xfce4-notes-plugin
:: removing xfconf breaks dependency 'xfconf' required by xfce4-notifyd
:: removing xfce4-panel breaks dependency 'xfce4-panel' required by xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin
:: removing garcon breaks dependency 'garcon' required by xfce4-screensaver
:: removing xfce4-panel breaks dependency 'xfce4-panel' required by xfce4-screenshooter
:: removing xfce4-panel breaks dependency 'xfce4-panel' required by xfce4-sensors-plugin
:: removing xfce4-panel breaks dependency 'xfce4-panel' required by xfce4-smartbookmark-plugin
:: removing xfce4-panel breaks dependency 'xfce4-panel' required by xfce4-systemload-plugin
:: removing xfconf breaks dependency 'xfconf' required by xfce4-taskmanager
:: removing xfce4-panel breaks dependency 'xfce4-panel' required by xfce4-time-out-plugin
:: removing xfce4-panel breaks dependency 'xfce4-panel' required by xfce4-timer-plugin
:: removing xfce4-panel breaks dependency 'xfce4-panel' required by xfce4-verve-plugin
:: removing xfce4-panel breaks dependency 'xfce4-panel' required by xfce4-wavelan-plugin
:: removing xfce4-panel breaks dependency 'xfce4-panel' required by xfce4-weather-plugin
:: removing garcon breaks dependency 'garcon' required by xfce4-whiskermenu-plugin
:: removing xfce4-panel breaks dependency 'xfce4-panel' required by xfce4-whiskermenu-plugin
:: removing xfce4-panel breaks dependency 'xfce4-panel' required by xfce4-xkb-plugin

Thank’s for the hint with the full environment. I would stick with XFCE.