Manjaro stuck on boot screen after resizing and moving partitions

Hey guys, so I dual boot Manjaro with Windows, when I was doing this I had to make rough estimates on what I wanted the file system layout to be and what sizes the partitions are (manual installation). I started running out on space so I decided that my /root/ partition probably wasn’t going to use the 120 GB I gave it, so I resized a bit, moved the unused space closer to the /home/ file system, and resized. Apparently Manjaro didn’t like that too much and won’t boot up anymore, though I can still get a TTY shell with everything still there, I believe it’s a TTY because the tmux knockoff Byobu still starts up, along with zsh, and I can still log in. I probably should mention it booted up once when I first moved everything, but then once I installed some applications it just gave up. I appreciate any help, even if you can just point me to a forum page, also I’m not quite sure what logs you guys would need so if you do need some please let me know and I’ll update the post with them. Thanks in advance!

I would rather think that the UUID has been changed. Check /etc/fstab and lsblk -f if both UUIDs match.

Sadly the uuid’s are the same :frowning:

problem could be also if not enough space is available.

lsblk -f

/ is 44%
/home is 58%
/boot/efi is 27%

Everything’s good with storage it seems

So, UUIDs match, enogh space available and the mountpoints does not change. So well… the issue is 100% not a cause of resizing. Last thing I would think of is running fsck, since you could have corrupted files.

@W3BV1P3R,

you need to restore grub after such an action.

Restore grub? That’s confusing, how is it it was able to boot up just that one time and now it’s stuck in boot up?

Fsck shows that everything is clean…

Okay, so I made this some what same post on Reddit and the dude said to run the command startx, that threw this at me:

usr/lib/Xorg.wrap: Only console users are allowed to run the X server
xinit: giving up
xinit: unable to connect to X server: connection refused
xinit: server error
Couldn’t get file descriptor referring to the console

Running it as root gave me a blank screen with a flashing cursor on the corner, I gave up after a few minutes and did ctrl-alt-f2 and got back into the TTY, it said this: (just the errors)

(EE) no screens found (EE)

(EE) Please also check the log file at “/var/log/Xorg.0.log” for additional information.
(EE)
(EE) Server terminated with error (1). Closing log file.
(Gotta try to figure out how to get the log file off, next reply will have it attached)

So what something happened and Manjaro decided to screw up my DE lol

Well then check your log:

cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | less

And here it is:

The main attraction is probably this:
[ 212.145] (EE) NVIDIA: Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module. Please see the
[ 212.145] (EE) NVIDIA: system’s kernel log for additional error messages and
[ 212.145] (EE) NVIDIA: consult the NVIDIA README for details.

I’ve gone through like 5 different distro’s because all of them either gave me ACPI errors (this one still does but it boots past them) or Nivida errors that won’t even let me past boot…
Now I gotta figure out where the kernel log is stored, again next reply will have it attached if I can find it

First:

[   212.130] Current Operating System: Linux manjaro 5.9.16-1-MANJARO #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Dec 21 22:00:46 UTC 2020 x86_64

Kernel 5.9 does not exist anymore on the offical repo and therefore:

[   212.145] (EE) NVIDIA: Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module. Please see the
[   212.145] (EE) NVIDIA:     system's kernel log for additional error messages and
[   212.145] (EE) NVIDIA:     consult the NVIDIA README for details.
[   212.148] (EE) NVIDIA: Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module. Please see the
[   212.148] (EE) NVIDIA:     system's kernel log for additional error messages and
[   212.148] (EE) NVIDIA:     consult the NVIDIA README for details.
[   212.148] (EE) No devices detected.

…it can not initialize the driver for this kernel since it is not there anymore.

Switch to another LTS Kernel: 5.4 or 5.10.

sudo mhwd-kernel -i linux510 linux54

and remove and re-install the driver again:

sudo mhwd -r pci video-nvidia
sudo mhwd -i pci video-nvidia

It worked!! For some reason the cinnamon de isn’t working, but I’ve got gnome back so I’m happy :smiley:

Thank you so much for the help dude, it feels awesome to get back to Manjaro again!!

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.