Manjaro stuck during during boot process after installing Windows 10

Hello,

I think I’ve a problem in regards to my Manjaro installation as I can no longer get past the booting screen when I try and use it and it only happened when I installed Windows 10 yesterday on a separate drive, separate from my existing Manjaro installation. I can boot and use the windows installation just fine however.

The system boots just fine and into the Manjaro boot menu giving me the options to either boot into Manjaro, Windows and other options. I can access the tty and the GRUB command line just fine and I used the tty to enable the boot messages onscreen and the last boot message I can see is [ OK ] Finished TLP system startup/shutdown and something else saying that kvm is disabled by bios.

Other information that I can give is that the Manjaro installation is using BTRFS and using fdisk -l on a live usb shows that the windows drive has disklabel = dos. I feel like I borked my manjaro install by installing windows after.

Is there any way I can fix the booting problem and is there any temporary way I can boot into the graphical part of manjaro?

Maybe try to restore GRUB from a live Manjaro USB GRUB/Restore the GRUB Bootloader - Manjaro (really quick with manjaro-chroot tool instead of manually chrooting), but that doesn’t seem to be your problem here as you are actually booting your system.

Try the Advanced option in GRUB and see if you can load to desktop with one of the other boot option.

To me this smells an ‘after update issue’ that you didn’t notice until you installed Windows. Did you update your Manjaro and didn’t reboot to check if everything was OK after update? Did you do anything on the system before installing Windows?

Thanks for the reply. looking back through my zsh history, I did sudo pacman -Syu though I can’t remember what packages were updated.

During my troubleshooting, I also did sudo pacman-mirrors -f 5 && sudo pacman -Syyu. I am also getting help from a friend who told me to do sudo journalctl -b to check for irregularities, which I did. I got the message:

NVRM: The NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost GPU installed in this system is
NVRM: supported through the NVIDIA 470.xx Legacy drivers. Please
NVRM: visit [insert website] for more
NVRM: information. The 495.29.05 NVIDIA driver will ignore
NVRM: this GPU. Continuing probe...

which was followed by NVRM: No Nvida GPU found

and after also being told to do pacman -Qett | grep nvidia, I got linux514-nvidia 495.29.05-1 .

Exactly what I thought. OK, you switched to Unstable branch (this 495 driver is only available there for now), updated, didn’t reboot, and installed Windows. then you noticed the issue only after rebooting from your Windows installation.

If your GPU isn’t supported, for now you can simply remove the Nvidia driver and run with nouveau driver (video-linux in mhwd).

sudo mhwd -r pci video-nvidia
sudo mhwd -i pci video-linux

Alternatively, you can go back to Testing branch, force downgrade of all packages, and prey for no dramatic breakage.

sudo pacman-mirrors -a -B testing
sudo pacman -Syyuu

On a side note, your issue points to things you do wrong:

• you update your system, and don’t reboot
  • you don’t seem to have a backup solution for when breakage happen (use TimeShift, configure it to do not do auto snapshots, and do one manually before a big update to be able to go back to previous system state if something goes wrong)
  • you don’t consult the appropriate forum despite using the most breakable branch (where the info is available about this issue since yesterday)
  • you didn’t post relevant info about your system in initial post which would have instantly shown the issue

Keep that in mind for the future it will help having less issues, and having instant solution most of the time.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for the info. I’ll switch to the testing branch for the meantime and hope there won’t be anymore issues.

And thank you for your criticism on my part. I’ll definitely take that information along. I wasn’t aware of some of these links and I’ll take a good read of them. It’s also my first time learning about TimeShift

I’ll let you know how the process goes after it’s done.

Update: The system works as I left it. Thank you very much! Looks like I have a lot more learning to do.

Nice.

It is by making mistakes and fixing them that we learn good lessons.

:beers:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.