Manjaro stuck at boot after failed update

So, I was updating some AUR packages and doing stuff on the browser at the same time. The update was using a lot of my resources, i did not notice it. And ended up with my RAM full, and my system freeze. I left it about 5 minutes in hope that it went back to normal, it didn’t.
So I turned off my pc via button. But when I turned back on, it was stuck on the boot. On the \dev.. clean. I left a few minutes and still.
I turned it off again, and left it more time. It boot 15 minutes after, and it was so slow i couldn’t nothing.
I tried a few things that I saw on forums, but it did not work.
I can’t update the AUR packages via Live USB, (i dont know if this is the problem).
Any help is appreciated.

since you mention usb, boot into it, connect to internet, then chroot:
manjaro-chroot -a
this command doesnt work with btrfs and encrytped disks…
rerun update again:
pacman-mirrors --fasttrack 5 && pacman -Syyu
when its done and no errors, update aur packages:
pamac update -a
then exit chroot:
exit
reboot

edit: you being stuck could also be because you are running the 5.18 kernel, so in chroot check with this:
mhwd-kernel -li
and if it lists the linux518 kernel, remove it with:
pamac remove linux518

2 Likes

I did all of what you mentioned, but i can’t update the aur packages. It says something about systemd not being initiated.
I am not using kernel 518, im using 515.

After reading some other things, i found that what may be causing the problem, is this error:
drm_atomic_helper_wait_for_dependencies. I did some research but everything i found, did not work.

Oh my god, I had the same issue too. This is something to do with nvidia for me. My system fails to display anything when the X11 refresh rate is set different from the default. It was in my case anyway. I reinstalled my system multiple times before realizing, so it is a bug that needs to be noticed. To fix, boot into a live environment and perform sudo manjaro-chroot -a to enter your system externally. From here, just remove the config file with rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf. Reboot into the actual installation and the display should render again. I have no idea what might be causing this, and hey, you might have a completely different situation. Hope I could help.

For now, you may just have to set the refresh rate manually every time you boot until the situation is addressed.

1 Like

Perhaps a little late - but nonetheless - for those reading here

Hey, thanks for the help.
I don’t have a /etc/X11/xorg.xonf, i just a have a directory with a similar name xorg.conf.d.
How should I procede?