Manjaro stuck after Grub

Hi people, I am trying to move from Ubuntu to Manjaro. But there is an issue with NvidiaGTX 1050. I installed Manjaro and when I boot, after the GRUB, I get a black screen and I can’t do a thing. I can’t go into TTY and nothing works. The pas days were so stressful because of this.

I’ve read that the solution is to add this to GRUB: acpi_osi=! acpi_osi=“Windows 2009” but how do I add it to GRUB? Like how exactly because I tried with “e” and go in edit mode and I added that in many ways and makes no difference, I also tried with “c” and same nothing happens.

Thing is that command line works. I took my ssd with Manjaro and added to another laptop and booted from it, and it boots perfectly fine, and then I uninstalled all the graphic card drivers and installed Nvidia 390xx. I know that my system works ok with Nvidia 390xx but not with the latest one. Now that have this set up, I put my ssd back into my laptop and boot from it. I still get a black screen after GRUB but now I can activate the TTY and add that command line. Simply add, enter, reboot, and it works. However now I updated the Manjaro graphic card to the recommended Manjaro drivers, and rebooted the computer and I am again stuck after the GRUB. It is a pain in the ass to switch hard drives again and do all that, and knowing that the above command line works, then how can I add it to GRUB?

And is this a solution or a temporary one?

Thank you!

Ok I’m dumb. I should have added that command in the linux line after quiet…i works now. However how to make this permanent?

/etc/default/grub
You will need sudo rights.
…sorry only on smartphone…and back up your original.

Awesome, thanks. Please let me know where exactly to add it so that I don’t mess it up entirely :smiley:

GRUB_DEFAULT=saved
GRUB_TIMEOUT=5
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=‘Manjaro’
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=“quiet resume=UUID=f115e065-b8a3-44d1-b6a5-e4ca4449cc78”
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

If you want to enable the save default function, uncomment the following

line, and set GRUB_DEFAULT to saved.

GRUB_SAVEDEFAULT=true

Preload both GPT and MBR modules so that they are not missed

GRUB_PRELOAD_MODULES=“part_gpt part_msdos”

Uncomment to enable booting from LUKS encrypted devices

#GRUB_ENABLE_CRYPTODISK=y

Uncomment to enable Hidden Menu, and optionally hide the timeout count

#GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=5
#GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true

Uncomment to use basic console

GRUB_TERMINAL_INPUT=console

Uncomment to disable graphical terminal

#GRUB_TERMINAL_OUTPUT=console

The resolution used on graphical terminal

note that you can use only modes which your graphic card supports via VBE

you can see them in real GRUB with the command `vbeinfo’

GRUB_GFXMODE=auto

Uncomment to allow the kernel use the same resolution used by grub

GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=keep

Uncomment if you want GRUB to pass to the Linux kernel the old parameter

format “root=/dev/xxx” instead of “root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/xxx”

#GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_UUID=true

Uncomment to disable generation of recovery mode menu entries

GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY=true

Uncomment and set to the desired menu colors. Used by normal and wallpaper

modes only. Entries specified as foreground/background.

GRUB_COLOR_NORMAL=“light-gray/black”
GRUB_COLOR_HIGHLIGHT=“green/black”

Uncomment one of them for the gfx desired, a image background or a gfxtheme

GRUB_BACKGROUND="/usr/share/grub/background.png"
#GRUB_THEME="/path/to/gfxtheme"

Uncomment to get a beep at GRUB start

#GRUB_INIT_TUNE=“480 440 1”

Also I have to mention that now my laptop fan is screaming out loud, like it is in full throttle. Could that be because of that code?

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

…I don’t have nvidia, so others might jump in, but no specs, just guess.

Edit: for your fan problem you may open a new thread.

Cheers

Thank you guys. Should it be like:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=“acpi_osi=! acpi_osi=“Windows 2009””
or
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=“acpi_osi=! acpi_osi=‘Windows 2009’”

" may create a conflict there?

I tried and it doesn’t work. Neither with " or ’

…you can dive in here.

Problem solved. Let me recap:
If your computer does not boot and you can’t even open the TTY, then boot again and in grub select the first option “Manjaro”, which selects the newest kernel and hit the “e” key on your keyboard. This allows you to edit the way the kernel boots. At the “linux” line, where you see “quiet”, add the following: acpi_osi=! acpi_osi=‘Windows 2009’

Now F10 and it will reboot normally.

To make that line appear there, after you boot, go to /etc/default/ and edit grub file by adding that line to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="" as such GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=“acpi_osi=! acpi_osi=‘Windows 2009’” - then open terminal and run: sudo update-grub

Done. Now it should always work. Thank you to all for your replies.

i may be wrong as im still new to linux but had a similar issue. if i remember correctly, after you edit grub during boot and get it to boot normally, dont you also need to edit it again once more and save it so that the config stays that way? doesnt grub revert to its previous state after reboot is finished?

i may be wrong as im still new to linux but had a similar issue. if i remember correctly, after you edit grub during boot and get it to boot normally, dont you also need to edit it again once more and save it so that the config stays that way? doesnt grub revert to its previous state after reboot is finished?

True this is why I said you have go to /etc/default/ and edit grub file by adding that line to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="" as such GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=“acpi_osi=! acpi_osi=‘Windows 2009’" - oh and then open terminal and run: sudo update-grub to have it always updated.

yes you did say that, my bad. i cant even pretend i got lost reading through a large thread.
i learned the hard way after thinking i fixed the problem then i reboot a day or 2 later and think something new is wrong and go off on the assumption that i already edited it, “cant be the problem, must be something else”, a day or so later of changing this or that and all down to a simple edit that i was sure couldnt be the problem. wont be forgetting that again

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.