Manjaro Noob Question

Greetings:
I am brand new to Arch or Manjaro and currently of course on the latter. I was not sure where to properly post this question snd I have been knocking my head against the wall trying to figure out how to copy my (dot) files and directories (eg. .config (directory) .zshrc (file)) to a backup directory without the dot prepended to the names (so .config becomes config on my backup) also how to reverse this. I am attempting to do this in the terminal (I am using Kitty) and want to either batch rename them or do it as they are copied. I can get them copied as they are to the target directory, but I seem to be failing on the renaming or unhiding the copied files in the DESTINATION directory. I would appeciate any help doing this as I am doing it to backup the files without compressing them for moving them to other machines and as a backup in case my daily driver machine fails!

Thsnks in advance for any help. Been Googling solutions for about three hours now and seems I USED to know how to do that. Perhaps my regex is real rusty.

Hope you guys can help!

Regards,
Michael

Why?
That would make it harder to restore those files since you’ll then need to rename them back…

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

request in web ?

linux manage dot file

exists some apps

Thanks all. Just tarred the backup directory and that solved the problem. Thanks for the input. On a different topic, is there a good place to find wallpapers on the repos? Thanks for all help and glad to be back on Linux! Been a couple of years since I had it on my desktop.

Thanks again for the help. I think moving the tar file is easier as maycne suggested about the extra work involved in renaming the files twice.

There are several wallpaper packages in the repos. :arrow_down:

[nx-74205:/dev/pts/3][/home/aragorn]
[08:41:55][aragorn] > pamac search wallpaper
wallutils                                                                                                                                                                                    5.9.0-3      community 
    Utilities for handling resolutions, wallpapers and timed wallpapers
variety                                                                                                                                                                                      0.8.5-2      community 
    Changes the wallpaper on a regular interval using user-specified or automatically downloaded images.
manjaro-artwork-extra                                                                                                                                                                        1.0.7-2      extra 
    Artwork for Manjaro (extra)
i3-default-artwork                                                                                                                                                                           20190912-1   community 
    Default wallpaper and icons for manjaro-i3
hsetroot                                                                                                                                                                                     1.0.5-1      community 
    Tool which allows you to compose wallpapers ("root pixmaps") for X. Fork by Hyriand
xwallpaper                                                                                                                                                                                   0.7.3-1      community 
    Wallpaper setting utility for X
ukui-wallpapers                                                                                                                                                                              20.04.2-1    community 
    UKUI Wallpapers
pantheon-wallpapers                                                                                                                                                                          20160119-1   community 
    Manjaro Linux pantheon wallpapers
muser-wallpapers                                                                                                                                                                             20171008-1   community 
    Collection of Muser artwork wallpapers
mate-wallpapers                                                                                                                                                                              20181111-1   community 
    Manjaro Linux Mate wallpapers
matchama-kde-wallpapers                                                                                                                                                                      20191118-1   community 
    Matcha KDE wallpapers
matcha-kde-wallpapers                                                                                                                                                                        20190810-1   community 
    Matcha KDE wallpapers
manjaro-wallpapers-by-lunix-xfce                                                                                                                                                             1.1-1        community 
    Manjaro Wallpapers By Lunix - Xfce
manjaro-wallpapers-by-lunix-openbox                                                                                                                                                          1.1-1        community 
    Manjaro Wallpapers By Lunix - Openbox
manjaro-wallpapers-by-lunix-manjaro                                                                                                                                                          1.1-1        community 
    Manjaro Wallpapers By Lunix - Logo
manjaro-wallpapers-by-lunix-kde-plasma                                                                                                                                                       1.1-1        community 
    Manjaro Wallpapers By Lunix - KDE Plasma
manjaro-wallpapers-by-lunix-i3                                                                                                                                                               1.1-1        community 
    Manjaro Wallpapers By Lunix - i3
manjaro-wallpapers-by-lunix-gnome                                                                                                                                                            1.1-1        community 
    Manjaro Wallpapers By Lunix - Gnome
manjaro-wallpapers-by-lunix-deepin                                                                                                                                                           1.1-1        community 
    Manjaro Wallpapers By Lunix - Deepin
manjaro-wallpapers-by-lunix-cool-logo                                                                                                                                                        1.1-1        community 
    Manjaro Wallpapers By Lunix - Cool Logo
manjaro-wallpapers-by-lunix-cinnamon                                                                                                                                                         1.1-1        community 
    Manjaro Wallpapers By Lunix - Cinnamon
manjaro-wallpapers-by-lunix-budgie                                                                                                                                                           1.1-1        community 
    Manjaro Wallpapers By Lunix - Budgie
manjaro-wallpapers-17.0                                                                                                                                                                      1.3-1        extra 
    Official Wallpapers for the Manjarolinux 17.x release
manjaro-users-artwork-wallpapers                                                                                                                                                             2013.05-1    community 
    Artwork for Manjaro (By Manjaro-users deviantart)
manjaro-sx-wallpapers                                                                                                                                                                        20171023-1   community 
    Wallpapers for Manjaro SX
manjaro-pacbang-wallpapers                                                                                                                                                                   0.3-2        community 
manjaro-openbox-wallpapers-matrix                                                                                                                                                            0.1-1        community 
    Manjaro Openbox Matrix Wallpaper
manjaro-openbox-wallpapers                                                                                                                                                                   1.0.1-1      community 
    Manjaro Openbox Wallpapers
manjaro-dynamic-wallpaper                                                                                                                                                                    1.3-1        community 
    Dynamic wallpaper for Manjaro
maia-wallpaper                                                                                                                                                                               1.2-1        community 
    Maia wallpaper
lxde-wallpapers                                                                                                                                                                              20170907-1   community 
    Wallpapers for Manjaro LXDE
livewallpaper                                                                                                                                                                                0.5.0.333-3  community 
    Animated 3D wallpapers
le3cell-artwork-wallpapers                                                                                                                                                                   2013.05-1    community 
    Le3cell's Artwork-Wallpapers
jwm-wallpapers                                                                                                                                                                               20160309-1   community 
    Wallpapers for jwm
i3-wallpapers                                                                                                                                                                                20151103-2   community 
    Wallpapers for i3
gnome-wallpapers                                                                                                                                                                             20201020-1   community 
    Manjaro Linux Gnome wallpapers
fluxbox-wallpapers                                                                                                                                                                           20151012-1   community 
    Wallpapers for fluxbox
elementary-wallpapers                                                                                                                                                                        6.0.0-1      community 
    Collection of wallpapers for elementary OS
dynamic-wallpaper-editor                                                                                                                                                                     2.7-1        community 
    A little utility for creation or addition of GNOME desktop's XML wallpapers
deepin-wallpapers-temp-fix                                                                                                                                                                   1.0-1        community 
    Fixes issue with default wallpaper in deepin
deepin-wallpapers-plasma                                                                                                                                                                     5.18.5-1     community 
    Additional Deepin desktop wallpapers from Plasma
deepin-wallpapers-manjaro                                                                                                                                                                    1:1.7.7-2    community 
    Default wallpapers for Manjaro DDE
deepin-wallpapers                                                                                                                                                                            1:1.7.7-2    community 
    Default wallpapers for DDE
deepin-community-wallpapers                                                                                                                                                                  1:1.7.7-2    community 
    Community wallpapers for DDE
cutefish-wallpapers                                                                                                                                                                          0.4-1        community 
    CutefishOS's system wallpaper
cinnamon-wallpapers                                                                                                                                                                          20190729-1   community 
    Wallpapers for Manjaro Cinnamon
caja-wallpaper                                                                                                                                                                               1.26.0-1     community 
    A Caja extension to quickly set wallpaper
budgie-wallpapers                                                                                                                                                                            20190915-1   community 
    Manjaro Linux Budgie wallpapers
bspwm-wallpapers                                                                                                                                                                             20180522-2   community 
    Wallpapers for bspwm
breath-wallpaper                                                                                                                                                                             0.4.0-3      community 
    breath wallpaper
beelink-dynamic-wallpaper                                                                                                                                                                    1.0-2        community 
    Dynamic wallpaper for Manjaro (Beelink)
awesome-wallpapers                                                                                                                                                                           20180305-1   community 
    Wallpapers for awesome wm
plasma-workspace-wallpapers                                                                                                                                                      [Installed] 5.22.5-1     extra 
    Additional wallpapers for the Plasma Workspace
manjaro-wallpapers-18.0                                                                                                                                                          [Installed] 1.4-3        extra 
    Official Wallpapers for the Manjarolinux 18.x release
illyria-wallpaper                                                                                                                                                                [Installed] 1.4-1        extra 
    Official Wallpapers for the Manjarolinux 18.x release
breath2-wallpaper                                                                                                                                                                [Installed] 1.0.18-5     community 
    breath2 wallpaper
wallpapers-tuxedo                                                                                                                                                                            20190813-1   community 
    Tuxedo wallpapers
wallpapers-infinity-book                                                                                                                                                                     20191104-1   community 
    Wallpapers for the Manjaro Infinity Book
wallpapers-juhraya                                                                                                                                                               [Installed] 1.1-2        extra 
    Community Wallpapers for the Manjarolinux 18.1 Juhraya release
wallpapers-2018                                                                                                                                                                  [Installed] 1.2-1        community 
    Wallpapers for Manjaro - 2018
wallpaper-manjaro-shells                                                                                                                                                                     1.1-1        community 
    Manjaro-Shells wallpaper

[nx-74205:/dev/pts/3][/home/aragorn]
[08:42:10][aragorn] > 

Seeing as that you’re on Plasma, you can also find lots of wallpapers at store.kde.org. :wink: